How much Harder is 70-620 compared to 70-271

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Éireannach, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Éireannach

Éireannach Bit Poster

Hi,

Apologies about the title. I'm dreaming today. My query was about 70-620 vs 70-271. First Level Techs can sit 70-271 in the past but are now required to do 70-620. A lot more now fail. Is it fair to say that 70-620 is equal to 70-271 or it 640 more difficult. Percentage wise what would the differance be.

Thanks

Certifications: None :-(
    WIP: MCSA
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have sat both the 70-271 and the 70-620.

The exams are completely different, some examples aer:

70-271 is XP and focuses on Domain Environments as well as Workgroup.
    70-620 is Vista and focuses only on Workgroups only.

Could just be the fact that your First Level Techs are not used to using Vista as much. I personally scored a much higher mark on my 70-620 than 70-271.

Maybe, you could let us know what study material they are using.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi Éireannach. I don't have much experience with either exam but with regard to editing a thread title it can be done! It should be one of the options when you enter the thread (on attempting to edit your first post).

:)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

271 is for the MCDST whilst 620 is client

The MCDST vista equiv is either the upgrade 621 or the 622 full exam

Did you mean to compare 620 (Vista Client) to the 270 (XP Client) ?

As others have said 620 is more configuration, installation and troubleshooting Vista in a home environment whilst 270 is based on using XP in a corporate enviroment, domains, sharing and permissions and deployment.

There's a lot of content to the 270 and I think it's much harder than the 620 which I'm looking at now (I thought the 270 was harder than the 290 server exam too)

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  5. Éireannach

Éireannach Bit Poster

Hi, I was wondering about the 621 vs the 271. How does the amount of content in the 271 relate to hte amount in the 620.

Certifications: None :-(
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Are you getting confused with all the exams? lol...

I've sat the exams and upgrade exams so I'll try to answer your questions...

1. 70-620 vs 70-271

These 2 exam are from 2 different programs. The 70-271 is from the MCP route, while the 70-620 is from the MCTS route. So you can't really do a direct comparison.

The MCP route of questions involves the technology as well as implementing and administering that technology.

The MCTS route of questions delves deeper into the technlogy (and can/may include some implementation), the implementing and administering is more or less left to the MCITP questions.

Some people find it easier, some people find it harder. But I would say the 70-620 is more the 70-270 equivalent rather than the 70-271 equivalent.

2. "First Level Techs can sit 70-271 in the past but are now required to do 70-620"

I have no idea where that came from, unless that's your company's policy. In Microsoft's eye's you don't have to sit the 70-620 before the 70-271.

3. The 621 vs the 271

The 70-621 is a upgrade exam, to upgrade the MCDST (which is based on XP) to the MCITP: EST (which is based on Vista). The MCITP: EST is the "new" MCDST, as far as it can be - remember MS changed the certification program from MCP to MCTS/MCITP.

If you do not have the MCDST, taking the 70-621 will not give you anything. If you want the MCITP: EST but you do not want to do the MCDST, then you will have to sit 2 exams: 70-620 & the 70-622.

If you do not have any enterprise experience, but you want to go down the Vista route, then the MCITP: CST would be the better option for you.

I've tried to put links to the exams in question, for the rest, go to the MS site.

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A lot more fail 70-620? :blink That's pretty incredible... I found it to be far easier. 70-620's one of the easiest exams I've seen, provided you've worked with Vista.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would somewhat disagree. 70-270 deals with XP in a domain environment. 70-620 deals with Vista in a generic environment. If anything, it covers only the easiest, most basic stuff found in 70-270... and then throw in the new Vista features, and bam, that's the exam.

For the record, we used the 70-270 Sybex Windows XP book as the basis for writing the 70-620 Sybex Vista book, and there wasn't a lot that could be brought forward. Josh and I had to write the majority of it from scratch.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would have to agree, the 70-620 was definitely the easiest MS exam I have taken so far. No disrespect to anyone who has passed the exam btw! :biggrin

I found the 70-270 slightly more challenging as it did include supporting XP in a domain environment which included RIS, answer files, etc.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thread title fixed :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)