How much do you save from your salary?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by msgang, Dec 25, 2011.

1. msgang

msgang Banned

I cannot seem to save, and I need to learn how to save.

I save about 45 percent of what I get, most of my stuff goes to food and car.

What are good ways to save and how much you save on percentage a year or monthly.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No idea mate, I blow all my money on booze and fast cars :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I put away about 15% of my salary to savings... It's hard at first, but then you get used to it and you realize that the money you put away is not wasted and that its there.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It depends on your outgoings as the more that goes out the less likely you'd save any money or some money rather. On the flip side it can be done through if possible reducing unnecessary spending and make it into a savings. It can be tricky at first but with time and reduced spending it is achievable and worth while.

All the best and have a good Christmas:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I dont bother TBH, but if your saving for retirement etc you could maybe pay into a pension where your work matches what you pay. The only time i save is if im after a large purchase, otherwise i just spend it, cant take it with me :D

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

As my mother used to say: "make sure you save even if it is just a little, it will all add up", I have setup a monthly DD that transfers £20 into my savings account each month and then I supplement this with with the odd £50-100 depending on the outlook of my account!

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Get your self an ISA and a SIPP... that or spend it on fast women and lose cars ;)

8. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

I try and save around £400-£500 per month that goes into an account that is there in case of redundancy. Once it gets to a certain amount it usually goes into an ISA and then I start again. I also have 2 active pensions I pay into one work and one from an old job. Personally think it's important to save for the future as I want to retire at 55.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I saved the most when I lived with my parents many moons ago, total living expenses where £250 per month including rent and fuel.

Slightly different now, but I still manage to save a fair few pennies to keep my wife in a lifestyle she is completely unaccustomed too!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5