How much are you willing to pay for training materials?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I ask after making quite an astonishing sale on Amazon. An Info Security book I bought some time ago (and never read) has just sold on Amazon for £100. One book. One reasonably slim book.

I know I didn't pay that for it; maybe investing in books has a future ;)

But this lead me to think... how much would you be willing to pay for knowledge? What's the most you personally have spent on a singular book for knowledge?

My own was the MS Press book for the MCDST and I think I paid £25 for it which still felt like quite a lot at the time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I usually spend around $25-$40 per book, but I buy like 3-4 books in one shot... so that ends up costing more than $100. Also maybe a little off topic, but I was seriously considering paying $2200 for the vSphere course until I found a cheaper solution.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have paid up to £50 per book before (I once spent over £200 on books in Foyles on Cisco and Microsoft certification studies).

To give you an idea on how much I spend on books.

IMAG0031.jpg IMAG0032.jpg

These are my current physical books, I also have a number of these duplicated in Kindle format as well.
    One image is my VMware shelf, the other is my Microsoft and Cisco shelf.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Very nice shelves! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably £25ish tops for a book now but did buy some Transcender tests (£80) when doing the MCSE.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've got 100+ computer books at £25-30 a piece, bought few for as much as £50.

I've paid for professional courses from £1000-£2000.

Paid for webcasts for around £200.

Also took a degree and HND which cost a few £££.

Mostly I now take free online courses.

7. Stevie.f

Stevie.f Bit Poster

I love books, especially the ones that come with a pdf version. It's even better if the book comes with any software! I've happily paid up to £45 for books.

When I was at uni I started doing the CCNA in a classroom (it was done through the university so it was broken into four sections), and I paid £150 for each part of the course. It was well worth the money because I had enough of an understanding of the networking that I could ask the tutors questions and properly explore the subject. Some people in that class had no prior knowledge of networking, and I don't think they got anything out of the class at all as they were too busy trying to figure out the basics. I would happily pay much more than that for a classroom course if I really needed to know a subject in depth, but generally books work for me.

I've spent around £40 on Groupon for an online course. I mostly bought it to find out what online training would be like.I found that it was better than books, but looking at the full price that a lot of courses are sold for, I'm not sure that I would ever pay that.

Certifications: BSc (hons) Comuter Networks, CompTIA Cloud Essentials