How many VM's on Server 2008 Enterprise Edition?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Big Bad JV, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Big Bad JV

Big Bad JV Bit Poster

Hi all,
    I am currently installing a new Hyper-V server with Windows 2008 Enterprise Edition and have the license that also has licensing for 4 VM's.

My question is this, will the Enterprise Edition run more VM's than 4 with the purchase of additional licenses, or is it limited to 4?

JV

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Voice
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You would have to purchase more CALS, your next restriction would then be ram.

As long as you have the CALS you can install the OS on to what you want (including Vmware), where the Host becomes bogged down is when you try to run too many guests with not enough resources.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you wouldn't need more CALs
    you would need more Windows licences (the expensive stuff)

Cals control the ability for clients to access servers

you need additional server licences
    so with another Enterprise licence you could run 5 more VMs
    with a Datacenter license (per socket) you can run unlimited VMs (hardware permitting)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Big Bad JV

Big Bad JV Bit Poster

It's a fairly hefty server 2x quad core Xeon E5520 CPU & 32Gb RAM and 8 NICs so it should be fine for running 5 VM's on to start with. Looking to run Win 2k8 Ent Core with Hyper-V role installed, then VM's on top.

I had seen on one of the Microsoft pages that Enterprise Edition was for 4 VM's and Data Center was unlimited but could'nt find any info to say if Ent Edition was limited to stop more VM's running than the 4 supplied virtual licenses.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Voice
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My bad

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Ryan's covered it all :) With that spec server you should be able to run a couple of more than just 5 :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'm not so sure about this one.
    As far as I know the 1+4 model (Enterprise) applies only to 1 being a host and 4 being VM's on this host. I think I've seen somewhere that those guest licenses are not transferable to other hosts.

It would be nice to have confirmed information though.

edit:
    it's definately not additional 5 VMs:
    from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-r2.aspx

So if in the best scenario you can run additional 4.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's used to be correct, it used to be that the VM licensing allowed for a total of 5 machines for Enterprise but that's assuming 1 is the host and the other 4 are on the hosted on that host. If you want to add additional OS licenses you would needed to purchase the amount required for however many hosts you wanted to add. However that could all have changed as MS did revise their VM licensing last year.

As far as transferring the hosts, actually you can but only if you're doing it in a Live\V motion environment, add to that you then have a limitation on when you can move those machines back.

Licensing is a very complicated issue and it changes all the time.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Aye your right mate, the 5 was actually a typo :P
    the 4+1 model does indeed not transfer
    BUT, you can buy additional Ent licences and use the +4
    so if you have one physical
    and two Ent licences you can run, the one physical and 8 guests

better option at that point would of been two Datacenter licences though :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0