How many IT people work from home?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rob1234, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Just wondered how many people here work from home and if so how many times a week?

Certifications: A few.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

A lot who work for my company work from home, some almost all the time. I work in an office and wouldn't really thank you for a home based job as I enjoy the banter and like to have a distinction between work and home.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I used to work at least 1 day a week from home until very recently when a new manager came in and changed it, I think that working from home at least once a week was great because it meant I didn't commute for those 5 \ 6 hours that day and could spend time with family.

I also found I actually got more work done as well because I had less interruptions but hey ho.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I work from home when I get home from work. Not the best.

I get the occasional day working from home which helps…. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    JonnyMX, LukeP and jk2447 like this.
  5. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good shout, when does it ever end! I now have two sayings due to work. Off and off off, off being out of work but probably doing a few hours OT. Off off is when im completely off work and not on call.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Now and then if the customer doesn't mind and the work involved is distance based (documentation/research, etc...).

Sometimes just 1 day a week (or less), and occasionally an entire week or nearly. Holiday seasons (summer/winter) result in most work done from home. Sometimes it involves self-study. Probably on average 1.5 days a week I'd say. This week however it's none...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Must be a Micky Flanagan fan then ;)

8. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

In my last job I used to do 2 days in the office and 3 at home, office was 100 miles away and used to just drive up and back the same day.

Current job the client account I'm on wanted me in the office 2 days a week so as that's a bit further I drive up and stay over night (at the clients expense :) ), so usually again spend 2 days inc overnight in the office and 3 days at home.

Occasionally if I've got a particular piece of work on and need to be face to face with people then I'll spend an extra day up there but only had to do that 2 or 3 times in 6 months.

It's a good balance for me, where I live decent jobs are few and far between so if I want to further my career I have to take a job further afield. I've done the whole living away all week thing and it's not for me for various reasons, this way I get to spend a lot of time at home, live where I do, yet still have a very good job.

Only downside is at the moment in our house I don't have a dedicated work space or office room which is annoying, but we'll be moving to a bigger place soon which will sort that out.

9. S2sourcing

S2sourcing New Member

There are many I.T Independent Contractors that work from home. If you are interested in this type of opportunity I would definitely check out <spam>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012
  10. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

My boss allowed me to add myself to the VPN users list this week and i set it up on my home computer and straight away ive been having to use it for various issues with our company in the evenings. Happy but sad! lol

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  11. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

My home PC automatically establishes a VPN session when I login.

'nuff said?