How many hours do you work?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As the title says. I’ve taken the day off today as I’m absolutely shattered! I’ve worked to around 9-10pm every day for around the last 5 weeks from starting at 8 in the morning and today I thought “f**k it” and rang in sick. Even if I get home slightly early I end up having to finish paperwork. I’ve also worked the last 5 weekends as well, network migrations! Don’t you just love them? :gmorning

Anyways is anyone else in the same boat? I appreciate that working in IT has long working hours but the last few weeks have been over the top. Before that I had the occasional weekend to work and some work past 5pm during the week which I was up for doing (yes, I’m mad) but the last few weeks have been crazy. I think its just a phase at work as we cant knock back the extra work (it’s a small company) and there is only four IT staff (including me) so one extra project can tie up lots of resources.

Rant over; is it too early for a beer? :berrr

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to admit that I think working in IT is one of those ocupations that can end up taking over your life.

My first year in my current job I really put the hours in on site, I'm taliking 7:30 am til 5:30 ish on site and then more at home. But now that I have things doing what I want them to I'm more organised in my working hours.

Some days I will end up 'working' late but thats usually because I'm at uni and it's my choice.

I used to find that I was trying to do stuff all of the time, but I decided that it was taking over my life and needed to change how I did things. These days when I leave work I take my laptop home with me but leave the power cable at work. This way I know that I have about 3 hours to get what needs doing done before the battery dies.

I don't own a desktop PC, so there's no excuses. Of course on a weekend I'm 'powered' as theres no way I could only go for three hours surfing in 48!

:biggrin

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I get up around 5:00 do research or paperwork, take a shower at around 7:00, eat breakfast and go to work. I work straight through till 5:00 go home and take maybe an hour or two for myself, and then more work/research/study until around 11:00.

I am in a different situation than most though as I'm new to my position and have at least 8 months to a year worth of projects already lined up, in addition to the stuff the boss drops on me every day and the normal support/maintenance duties that occur on a daily basis.

That's my week. On the weekends I take more time for myself and my wife. I do that consciously because I know if I don't, I'm going to burn out big time at this as I have a very one-track mind. I'll just work myself to death just because the work is there to do and I like like doing it if I don't consciously step back at least a day or so a week.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well its a similar story as a consultant, although it all depends on what the sales folk manage to sell! :)

normally in the office by 8, often at 7 in the morning doing research and any 'fun' work that i want to do, buidling our new VMWare farm and SAN has been one of those, as well as messing around with some Cisco IPT gear

depending on the day I have a touch base meeting with our project manager about the projects im leading, what progress we have made and where we are falling behind and assist with re allocating resources etc,
    i then do anything clients require, either on site or from the office, including pre sales proposals and tenders, maintenance fulfillments and any 4th line support work thats needed

I then touch base with existing clients, getting long term feedback from previously envoked projects and setting the ground work for future project work, as well as research into new tech and anything that might assist a solution going forward

often have pre sales meetings in the afternoon (some in the morning) which generally leave me with a load of work for the following day! :)

I also assist in company technical strategy, assisting with aligning our technical assets to our business direction and getting the most out of it, this generally involves a bit of mind mapping and testing during the afternoon / evening

generally i try and leave on time these days, about 5:30 to 6pm as I have got back into WoW and guild raids start at 19:00 hours :) which means the hour trip home cant be much later!

raid goes on till 11 - 12 usually, then its off to bed :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

I'm not in the I.T industry yet. But I work as a hire car driver which involves starting at 8.00AM and driving non-stop till about 6.00PM. Money is crap but hey it's a job

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

8-5:30 doing support (real job) then 9-12 doing system admin on my domain at home (study time!!! :biggrin )

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just to throw a little extra into the mix - how do you all classify your CF time in your answers ? :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. magic

magic Banned

a boring non-it related job that's boring the hell out me.

9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I work 7-4, M-F. And since we're all on hourly and the company does not pay OT, then we don't work OT.

They tried to implement "mandatory OT" once......when 1/2 the staff put in their notice they withdrew it.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  10. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Main job in IT: approx 08.00hrs to 16.00hrs. But that flexible, sometimes we finish early, sometimes we finish later & sometimes we work from home - it depends whats on.

Second job 18.00hrs to 21.00hrs. Training other people (A+ MCDST) depending on what courses I'm employed to teach. This is done 2 evenings a week.

Training (self study): Approx 1 to 2 hours every day.

CF time, I would class that in with my main job & personal time. Approx time per day: unknown? :D

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm a little peed off at the moment, 3 saturdays I had to give up my time to power down a couple of servers down at work because some maintenance was due on the mains power supply, have I got paid for the first lot of overtime, have I heck, going to raise merry hell on Monday and I'm not even doing IT support full time yet.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well I work with WagnerK so the main job is the same as him, roughly 8-4 Mon-Fri. We often go home early on a Friday though and if we work any extra time we note it down and then get that time in lieu.

So those are our 'official' work hours, now the time we actually 'work' is a completely different figure depending on how arsed we are on that day. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Paid overtime was dropped just before I started the job I’m currently in, my basic wage has been increased so I can’t complain too much though in regard to wages.

Actually having that one day off has recharged the batteries so it’s all good. I still say most IT peeps are overworked though :tongue

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If any of our managers belong to this forum, we work our a*rs off 110% of the time, barely have time to breath. :cracking

To all the rest, what Modey said. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

lmao !!! :biggrin

Just remember your managers will be able to see what you're up to here by looking at your profile to see your last activity. Just a wee nod :wink:

:tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

This place is called research and professional development! :biggrin

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Good job we don't use our real names then really, oops, Ken does ... :)

edit: oops and me, note to self, change signature. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Start at 9am finish at 5pm but on call till 10pm one week in two. Depending on the projects that are up and running some weekend work - usually 14 to 16 hour days as we got to get the systems back in place by start of play on Monday.

19. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Too much!!

Usually here at 8am and gone by 6pm for three days, the last two days can be until 8:30pm - so I try and get my lunch break.

Also 3 to 5 hours on the weekend are not uncommon - every second or third week or so...

I try and get an hour or two every second day for study also in the evenings...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff