how many hours do you study a day

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by buy_my_cookies, Jul 2, 2009.

1. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

hi all,

in the last week i have started to get back on track with the mcdst. i did start last year but got a new job (not it IT but did pay more), a new girlfriend (she takes up more time then work!).

any way now i want to get back to finding a job in IT, i plan to do the mcdst, a/n+. i know a lot of people say start with a+ but i was given mcdst book for free. i have no experiance in IT but use computers all day at work. i did btec national dep at college and anything else i know is from tinkering, building comps, and overclocking at home.

when i first strated to study mcdst i found it very hard to keep up a study routine i aimed for at least an hour a day but often found by the time i got back from work it was last thing on my mind! how long do people study for? and how do you keep motivated?

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

There are a couple of current active threads about this, so go a-searchin':-

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread33812.html

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33987

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

ah sorry should have really searched first!

thanks,

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  4. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

out of interest how many hours in total is needed to pass the MCDST exams with the A+ under my belt.

I know this varies from person to person but a rough figure would allow me to know how many hours a day i van put in and when im likely to finish

i was thinking of buying the MCDST Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-271) from amazon, ive heard good reviews on this book, is this true

Just a little niggling questions about the MCDST and about supporting XP users, now that vista is slowly replacing XP isnt there another cert like the MCDST that supports users on vista. And if so, would it be better to go for the vista support or will XP still be out there for a long time yet.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I always do the samw 2-3 20 minute sessions a day the 70-271 took me a couple of months the 70-272 took and extra 2 months but that was because I had work which was more important.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All of them... as many as you need to understand the concepts. That number will be different for everyone.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

You will find parts of the MCDST easier if you get the A+ and the N+ first, that I can assure you ;)
    Most of the networking (and troubleshooting) in the MCDST is covered in the N+, and any hardware troubleshooting is in the A+.
    I took around 3 months to do the 70-271 around work and now trying to do the 70-272 in a month, since I've heard they have similar content.

8. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

I also wanted to know, as i have not landed my first role in I.T, how much longer will XP be around for untill vista replaces it. meaning is it worth taking the MCDST or is there another cert that is more vista based or are there new onjectives that cover both operating systems with the MCDST :biggrin

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well extended support is available until 08/04/2014 so dont expect XP to vanish overnight. It is worth noting that there are still some Windows 2000 and NT networks out there so you never know what you will end up supporting.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

As for Vista, again some companies are going to miss it altogether and then see what Windows 7 has to offer. Some have migrated to Vista already and even more have after SP1 was released.

For Vista certs the 70-620 is a good start.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-620

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

So is the MCDST by far the most common cert to do for learning to support users