How many days holiday do you get per year?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by JK2447, Mar 4, 2010.

?

How many days annual leave do you get?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2010.
  1. 19 or Less

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. 20

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. 21

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. 22

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. 23

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. 24

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 25

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  8. 26

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. 27

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  10. 28

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  11. 29

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 30

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  13. 31 or More!

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Going by our little poll it seems a majority (28.57%) that voted get 20 days holiday per year. Not quite the amazing deal some people would believe we IT workers get. Second highest was 25 days (22.86%). This is more what I'd expect to see "out in the wild" and a reasonable average IMHO. 20, 21, 30 and 31+ days all coming joint third in the poll (8.57%). I think certainly the 30 or more days stems back from the glory times in IT. I myself get 30 but am pretty confident had I not joined my company in the manner that I did, this would be much lower.

I think a reduction in the average holiday allowance could be a result of the recession and the need for businesses to work us all harder, what do you think?

Just a bit of Trivia but in Japan, its considered good if you are found asleep at your desk for 10 minutes because you are obviously working so hard, the only chance you get to rest is on your break at work! True!

**Edit: I realise not many have answered on the polls and the results won't reflect IT as a whole but I wanted to discuss it anyway

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

25 days plus the 8 public holidays (bank holidays etc) so thats 33. plus lieu days for extra time worked.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Does anyone think IT workers get an amazing deal regarding annual leave? I've never met anyone who thought we got more leave than the average worker. I've met plenty of people who think my job involves turning things off and on again, or that I'm paid a ridiculous amount of money for somethign a ten year old kid could do - but never come across the particular brand of ignorance that suggests we get more leave than the average Joe.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Can't say I have either zeb, in fact the only profession that I know of which causes people to bang on about holiday amounts is teaching. Which considering the number of teachers I know who spend most of their 'holidays' working is a fairly screwed up complaint.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I get 26 a year. They don't roll over and I don't get paid for ones I do not take, hence why I am taking 3 weeks off between now and the end of April (had this week off already) haha.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Agreed. People assume teachers get the same time off as the kids they teach - ie, start at 9am, finish at 3:30pm and about 3 months of a year, which is wildly inaccurate.

Also, I've never known people to think we get wildly more time off than other professions. In fact, at my place most of the IT department are considered bonkers for the amount of hours put in (despite today being a lieu day off for me :biggrin). I do however encounter people that think I get paid a huge amount (also wildly inaccurate) also for turning things off and on again.

I once had a secretary at my place tell me she could do my job in her sleep. It's one of the few times I have genuinely laughed in someone's face.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. westernkings

When I worked at a High School, the teachers (at least the majority) did start at 8am and finish at half 3, apart from when they had meetings, and they did get every term holiday off, apart from the training days. During the 6 weeks holiday, I think they came in for the last week for about 3 hours a day lol.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

28 days

lieu days

option to buy 5

My previous occupation was 21 but paid at a lower rate :eek: b*stards!

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Then that school (in my experience) was a truly bizarre anomally, the teachers I know start work at 8am finish at school around 5:30pm go home and continue marking, planning and filling out the large collection of bull**** paperwork the government have seen fit to lumber them with then go to bed somewhere around 10:30 completely knackered.

An assessment of teachers workload in 2001 (I know there has been a more recent one but buggered if I can find it) reckoned teachers were working on average 52 hours a week, even with the short nature of the teaching year they outdo professionals in other jobs for total annual hours. Since 2001 I can absolutely guarantee that things have got worse.

10. westernkings

I think it was that most of the teachers did most of their marking during their Free lessons (they got at least 5 a week purely to do marking).

11. Arroryn

Wowzers. The teachers at my school didn't get it that easy (and that's not just my opinion through hearing them moan in class - I stayed in touch after leaving, and they have to put in hellish hours sometimes).

12. Arroryn

Oh and when (if) I ever have children, I can have 6 month's maternity leave, fully paid.

Though as things stand, that's a pretty extreme way of bagging holiday :eek:

13. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

9 months now mate, paid. Rules have changed :biggrin Dam wish I could get preggo! I need a sabatical!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

It all makes sense, the man bag, the murse and now a desperate desire to get pregnant. The poor attempts to be manly are revealed as having been a cover up all along, JK IS ACTUALLY A WOMAN.

15. Arroryn

Actually my entitlement is quite generous compared to "the rules".

I can have 6 months fully paid, and I can choose to have another 6 months off at half pay if I choose.

The legal minimum an employer has to give is 90% of your average gross weekly pay for 6 weeks plus up to 33 weeks at either 90% average gross OR £123.06 per week (and they can just give you the lower limit, which is then theoretically a measley (just under) £500 for the remainder of the term.)

Oh, and here's the UK basics on minimum holiday entitlement, for those of you that have put less than 20, and aren't contractors, self employed or part time...

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LMFAO @ this. I've had that a couple of times - usually when I've ended up going to a lUser's workstation that they've f***ed up somehow with malware (back in my security days). It's always the utter bellends who think that, because they know how to defrag a drive on a workstation, that automatically puts them up there with Mark Russinovich. I hate them more than I hate the imbeciles who won't listen to basic instructions because 'it's about computers - I don't do computers'. They're the reason I could never, ever do user or desktop support as a job. In fact, if I'd had to start at the coalface like most people today, I'd have probably not stuck at IT in the first place - it's soul-destroying.

I once worked DBA at a legal appeals tribunal (yonks ago - back in the days of SQL Server 7.0!) and because the contract was outsourced, we also had to support the lawyers. One of them was so f***ing stupid he couldn't tell the difference between the 'on' switch on the monitor and the one on the PC. I was fixing something to do with his machine for the umpteenth time (I think he'd brought a USB stick in from home with a Word doc on which had a virus embedded in it. After putting up with his usual tirade of abuse about 'the systems being rubbish' (they weren't), his PC being old and slow (it wasn't) and Macs being better anyway (they're not), he moved onto the old chestnut about us 'just turning things off and on again' and 'anyone being able to do our jobs'. I'd got sick of it - and told him that, since what he did as a job amounted to 'arguing for a living' I knew damn well I could do his job, but that because he couldn't work out the difference between storing files on a server and storing them locally on his machine, he didn't have a hope in hell of doing mine. Swear to God, if I ever see that pr1ck in the street I'm f***ing him up on sight.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

PSML :D

ah, dont you just love these annoying nobbers!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT