How long will it take?

Discussion in 'A+' started by funkodrunko, Jan 24, 2008.

1. funkodrunko

funkodrunko Bit Poster

Hi there.

I am about to venture into the world of A+. ive bought a book and have a couple of old pcs to destroy. Is there any general timescale that this would take the average joe. i know its a 'how long is a piece of string' question but im just curious as to when I should book exams, etc

Certifications: HND Computing, BSc Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

only you will know when you are ready, some people can do a few day studying some people can take years.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Booking your test through a test centre is quite flexible in my experience and you book it to suit you. I'd say wait until YOU think you are ready for the exam and then book it.

I also suppose it depends on the type of person you are, as in, do you need to work to a stringent deadline to be motivated enough to study or you someone who is naturally motivated and can study without any form of a push. Me personally, I'm a bit of both and I do wander away from studying at times :eek:

My personal; view is (and this is just me talking) would be to give yourself four to five months. As GBL says, some people will be able to study and take the exam in a much shorter time period whilst others will take longer.

Hope that helps :biggrin

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't book the exams until you're ready. Yeah, that one's full of trap doors, but each person learns in their own time. I think the Mike Meyers book has some sort of timeline in it which depends on your experience level, and you can use it as a guideline, but your "mileage" may vary. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. funkodrunko

funkodrunko Bit Poster

thanks for getting back to me. I kinda knew the answer anyway but as always, need reassurance. Has anyone got experience of network+ ? I know this is the wrong place to post but it'll save me starting a new thread. How tough is the N+ when compared to A+? I dont think that A+ looks that taxing and ive already done half of a CCNA which was difficult but not impossible. Again, how long is a piece of string?

Certifications: HND Computing, BSc Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hiya... you don't say which book you're using... I assume it's the Meyers All In One 6th Edition?

How long you takes depends on experience, of which you have some I believe. The Meyers book gives you a suggested timeframe for study of each chapter based on experience, and there will obviously be areas that you feel particularly strong or OK about, and others that you may not know as well.

I tend to read through the book, making notes, then re-read - in particular those areas I feel that I do need to concentrate on.

The practice exams on the CD (if there are any - depends on what book you're reading), and the end of chapter tests (again, depends on the book) should give you a fair indication of what you do or, more importantly, don't know; however, I tend to leave the exams until I am sure I feel confident. Once taken, you know the answers and as such the only benefit then of taking them again would be to fully understand whya right answer is the right answer... I was never good at written english... :(

The important thing is not to rush it... don't try to cram 5 hours a night, unless you're sure you can take it all in. I tend to concentrate on a chapter a night when I study but, if I don't finish within the 2 hours I give myself per night, then I continue the next night.

Most importantly, enjoy the learning! 8)