How long should my break be?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by beaumontdvd, Mar 8, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, sorry it's not entirely to do with IT but I have tried to research this online and everyone seems to be saying different things.

Basically I work 8.00 to 5:30 (9.5 hours) I only get a 45 min lunch break. Employed by the hampshire county council.

I'm sure that if you work that much you are entitled to an hour lunch break. Considering its moving heavy furniture and for only £4.83 an hour I am confused.

My IT job gave me an hour lunch and so have my previous ones, I hope someone can help. Sorry if it's off topic but I'm sure theres others out there asking the same question.

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Here you go: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10029451

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Rest breaks - a break during your working day

As an adult worker (over 18 ), you will normally have the right to a 20 minute rest break if you are expected to work more than six hours at a stretch.

A lunch or coffee break can count as your rest break. Additional breaks might be given by your contract of employment. There is no statutory right to 'smoking breaks'.

See here.

-Ken

EDIT: JonnyMX beat me to it

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I am the premature ejaculation of help and advice. :unsure

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD