How long should I test for?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, May 16, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have been asked by a customer to build them an air cooled system and overclock it alot as much as I can push it, I know a lot of you don't like overclocking but here goes.

I have used this mobo and cpu and cooler http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-334-AS
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-253-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1272
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-005-NC&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=

In a coolermaster cosmos s case

I have managed to to get the cpu running at 4.3GHz and have been running stress testing on it for 25hours at the moment with prime95 how long do you think I should do the stress test for?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I believe 25 hours is enough for testing, just remember to explain to your customer that overclocking can reduce the life span of the components and that you don't take responsibility for that :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee

I have already told her that if blows up on her when she is using it then I won't take any responsiblity for it :D
    I'll check how the testing has gone when I go home (at work) should be fine I think :blink

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would agree with Ken. Btw what kind of stress testing are you doing GBL?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. greenbrucelee

I ran memtest for a couple of hours then I ended up running prime95 for 27.5 hours

THe customer must have money to burn because the whole system is costing 3k so it probably wont matter if it blows up on her.

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

cool man... I am assuming the temps of the chipset and cpu are reasonable as well?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Disclaimer: I am not a licensed lawyer in your area so seek competent legal advice prior to relying on what I am about to say.

greenbrucelee,

I'd get that agreement in writing with your client and make sure your client signs it to help protect you from liability.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. greenbrucelee

yep 30 degrees for NB & SB:)

Yep it's in the contract that gets signed when a customer orders a system that is overclocked.

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

When I started out in IT a little over 10 years ago and worked in a computer shop we used PC-Check (which I've mentioned in other threads). This allows you to set up a script file to run various tests. We would leave this on continuous loop overnight, check all was ok and supply a printed copy of the test results with the PC.

So to answer the question ,as others have said, around 24 hrs max is fine for testing. 12 hours is probably the minimum I'd be happy with.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)