How long for MCSA + A/N + ??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jiser, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Hi all once I finish my degree in may in network systems management. I want to start the MCSA + A/N+. Baring in mind I will have 2 years of server admin +1st/2nd/third line support. As I have pretty much done everything for the previous I.T. job and the one I have now. Also I have been studying 'networking' theory intensley since I was 16 due to UNI/A-Levels and taking the CCNA first two semesters.

I also spent a good few hours studying towards the MCDST. So my question is how long realistically do you think I am looking at for the MCSA A/N + to study and pass. I am planning to home study.

I will have potentially the good part of most of a week for probably 6 + months to study.

Cheers

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

HOw long it takes you is entirley upto you, no one but you will know. Once you start studying and get a feel for the material get some practice exams and then you will be able to gague yourself on how good your getting on with the study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Exactly, once you do the first cert you will have a better idea of the timescale. Some peeps can do a cert in a week whereas others may take months. It isn’t a race though!:biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

All true! In my next roughly 2 year life plan I want to get the MCSA A+ N+ by may 09 at the latest. That leaves me about a year. Can't wait to get stuck in and learn. Will be really useful at work as well.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's see, passing the A+ and Network+ will satisfy one elective exam. The A+ is two exams and the Network + is a single exam. That leaves an additional three MS exams, so you're looking at sitting six exams total. It's roughly 15 months until May 2009. Yeah...I'd say you have a shot. Just in case you haven't taken a look yet, here are Microsoft's official requirements (in this case, for an MCSA on Server 2003).

That said, I'll have to agree with the others in that it's entirely up to you how quickly you learn and master the concepts and become "text ready". Start with the A+ and see how that works out. Revise your time table as you progress. You won't be able to answer your own question until you get started. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

well I had a few years of "fiddling with computers" experience, 6 months contract to build a school network from scratch and then I went and did the ECDL, A+, N+ and MCSA 2000 in just under 6 months. It was with UKIT training (who are no longer taking new students) so I had 23 days in the classroom as well.

I didn't have a job at the time so a lot of time (a few hours a day perhaps) spent reading and experimenting meant that I passed them all first time.

SO it can be done but you have to put the effort in... luckily for me my other half was very supportive and now I'm a 2nd line support engineer with the NHS.

Now I just need to take my 292 before March to upgrade to MCSA 2003 (which is what we predominately use at work) ....