How Long for A+?

Discussion in 'A+' started by kirbster21, Nov 28, 2005.

1. kirbster21

kirbster21 New Member

Just starting to study for the A+ with Meyers book but want to set myself a target as to how long I should take, it'll hopefully help me motivate myself!!

How long has everyone taken or spent on studying, from scratch?

2. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

it all depends on your personal circumstances mate, I put mine
    on hold for 6 months due to personal problems, but while doing
    it i was working 60 hrs per week and trying to spend time
    with my daughter etc, so all depends if you have dedicated
    days you can set aside or are working etc.

best try doing things section by section in a methodical manner
    ( see guys i do know some big words lol ) and just pace yourself
    and set yourself different goals through it.

You are also in a place here where every one here is so helpful
    that if you get stuck, your not too far away from a resolve or
    advice of some sort.

Finally, enjoy what your doing, cos thats a big factor in doing
    it right, best of luck bud ! :D

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  3. kirbster21

kirbster21 New Member

I've certainly enjoyed what little I've started doing so far but I always struggle whenever the joy wanes for however short a time, I've just come across CF this week and already can see that there is a wealth of knowledge and good will that I hope to tap into and probably push to the limit over the coming weeks, months and, who knows probably even years ...

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually the Mike Meyers book (found HERE) actually provides estimates of how long it will take a candidate to be ready for the exams based on their previous experiences with computers (the more experience, the less study time, and vice versa). Of course, each person and their circumstances are different. Bottom line is that it'll take you as long as it takes you. Just keep plugging away and let us know how you get on. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That is so true Trip, I was led to believe by a salesman, that it would take me six months to attain MCSE. Three years later Bob's your uncle :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. rico2005

rico2005 Bit Poster

Hi there,

I agree with what everyone is saying - there is no set time for completing the A+, it depends on each individual's circumstances.

However, something I did at the very start was book the exam at what felt like a realistic (for me) time in advance. I gave myself 4 months. This gave me something to aim for and knowing that the exams were paid for and booked, it made me study. Of course, if you are approaching exam time and you don't feel ready, you can easily postpone it.

Personally, I found that putting myself under some slight pressure helped me be more disciplined when it came to studying. And I passed yesterday! :biggrin

Good luck! 8)

Richard

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. tobylerone

tobylerone New Member

Hi there,

It does depend on you circumstances. I'm working full-time and trying to study in the evenings. Also i'm relatively new to this, my only familiarity really is having lived in house full of Computer Science students while i was a uni - not a great help, but a least some of the terminology isn't completely alien to me!

Anyway, based on what i've manged to do over last few weeks, i'm giving myself 3 - 4 months, but that might be up for review later! :unsure

Certifications: None yet...
    WIP: A+