How long for A+?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Angry Dog, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Hi,

I am going to do my A+ as I currently do not have any relevant cert's to my name.
    I've done Desktop Support for 11 years and also built PC's for companies in the past.

I am going to do the 2009 exam as this will have material out shortly, and as its the most current one, it seems to make sense to do it.

How long do you think it would take, giving it an hour a day to pass the exam?

Thanks.

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

You should be pretty farmiliar with the material given the job, however some of it is about the facts they want you to remember so it depends on how long it takes you to learn them.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you have been doing desktop support for 11 years you could probably study for a couple of hours or a week then pass.

The A+ is two exams btw.

Everyone is different some people could take a long time to study and pass it some people could probably pass it without studying depending on their experience.

BTW it doesn't matter which A+ exams you take employers wont really care if you have the current exams or the new ones.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

How long is a piece of string?

With 11 years experience I wouldn't think it would take you too long, as GBL says it doesn't particularly matter which version you have and the material in the 2006 exams still has a huge amount of relevance in the current business environment (particularly with plenty of IT departments having to do more with less at the moment).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As long as it takes. Some people require no study; others require years. I'm fairly certain you'll be somewhere between those two extremes. :)

In truth, there's no way for us to know... and it would be irresponsible of me to tell you how long you should take. If you're not ready by then, you'll stress out and take the exam before you're ready... and if you can pass in a shorter amount of time, you'll likely stress out and end up overstudying. Either way, it's a lose-lose situation. Take as long as you need to fully understand the topics... no more, no less.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

Thanks for the replies!

I will have a look at the exams and see about booking etc, see what the lead time is!

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+