How long does it take to self-study for A+ and Network+ ?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Len, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Len

Len Byte Poster

So how long on average did it take you guys to self study for your A+ and/or Network+ and pass?

Also: With or without previous experience?

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

I think its down to the individual If you have a good working knowledge of pc's ie memory graphics cards etc then the A+ theory kind of slots into place whereas if you don't know one end of a pc to the other then will take a bit longer. N+ bit of a different animal. Personally I didn't take A+ started it through a TP got fed up of being ripped off and to be totally fair 90 % of whats covered in an A+ today isn't relevant. I say that because its one thing knowing that graphics are ran from the northbridge of the chipset and that cmos actually stands for copper metaloxide semiconductor but if the mother board is F@!$%&* then you just gotta put a new one in and setting the headers to get the thing fired up is what you need to know. You don't need to know that the previous thing to a pentium4 was a pentium 3 or that the 486 was a pentium2 reboxed etc.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  3. Len

Len Byte Poster

:eyecrazy

4. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

LOL I was trying to say take the A+ if you want/need the cert. However in all of these things experience is key. I.E put yourself in the employers position gets 3 guys for interview person A has A+ N+ and absolutley no experience Person B no certs But 5+ yrs building/repair pc's setting up networks person C has certs and 1 yrs experience. Personally I would hire person B and give them 3 months to get qualified.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Took around 3 months, had years of experience. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Len

Len Byte Poster

I know.. you didn't paragraph so it was hard to read.

7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It took me 9 months to complete my A+, I was already working in IT and at that point I didn't know much about IT certifications and just concentrating on gaining experience :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Off subject but Security+ took me 2 months of study. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Pentium 2s didnt exist when 486s came out :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

err it does actaully help if you know how the equipment you are using now came to be. The A+ is relevant because it teaches how everything works and the processes involved..

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Len, there's absolutely no good that can come out of the answers to your question. Consider: if we say that we took very little time, and it takes you longer, you'll likely rush in to take it before you're ready, pressuring yourself to do it in an "average amount of time". And if we say that we took a long time, and you've studied and understood everything in a shorter amount of time, you'll likely overstudy unnecessariliy, thinking that you're missing something because everyone else took a longer "average amount of time".

Know how long you should take? Until you completely understand the topics. Not till you can completely memorize and regurgitate a bunch of facts... but until you have a solid understanding of the topics. No more, no less. Comparing yourself to everyone else will set yourself up for failure.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Len

Len Byte Poster

:dry I was merely being curious to see how long people studied for the A+ and/or Network+.

I'm not stupid enough to make a decision based on other peoples study time because I know its different for everyone. Jeez! Read the post!!! -___-

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I did read the post. You said:

None of that says to me, "Just curious!"

So... what does it matter that I took zero days to study? What is gained by that knowledge? Even if YOU don't get the idea that you're going too slow or too fast... someone else will, and it'll negatively impact their studies.

So, go ahead, and :dry me all you want... I'm trying to help YOU guys out, mate. Take it or leave it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Len

Len Byte Poster

Then we obviously have different ideas of what curiosity is.

Trying to help out? How come other people have managed to answer the question; surely me asking the question and receiving answers will be helping me out..

I understand you have good intentions, and I can see why you've said what you said, but the last time I compared myself against someone over something so pathetic was.. oh wait I cant remember.

15. xavipr

xavipr Bit Poster

Don't rush yourself... do it step by step

Certifications: 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok Len, no need to be ungrateful for any help offered by our members out of the goodness of their hearts.

You may know exactly whats going on inside your own head but we are not mind readers and other people in your position could read this thread for years to come. So, it makes sense for people to point out the obvious sometimes. I'm sure it wasn't meant as a slight on you personally.

17. Len

Len Byte Poster

Well I'm sorry if I came across as being ungrateful, but believe me.. I am very grateful for people who take the time to help others.

18. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Sorry to burst the bubble, but... That only applies for AMD Cpu's. On Intel, it's RAM. :p

Nope, it stands for: Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor. 8)

___

Anyways, to answer LEN's question is very hard. But I have something that can help you.
    If you dont have A+ books, go to a library get one and install the exams there, dont touch the book.
    See how well (or bad) you fare in the exams and then from that judge what sort of experience you really have with computers.

A+ questions on their own can be very practical oriented, which means even if you know what it is "supposed" to be, in a practical situation that might be very different.
    For instance you are inside "My Computer in Windows Vista, how from there can you change your screen resolution ?"
    (this is not an exam question by the way, but good for what im trying to explain)

So yeah, if you cannot answer things like that which are very down to how long you use your OS and get grips with it, you wont pass on certain areas of the exam.

I would say for a person with no experience, it is a huge wall to climb. Can be months or a whole year (or more!) but if you know the "rudimentary" works of how and what a computer is, you can get by a couple of months.

I recently took the A+ exam and passed comfortably, and I only had to revise for 2-3 days. But again I been around computers since my father gave me a 5.2" floppy and said that was the 4DS game for my Schneider, I was 7 ^_^ :p

But we are here to help, so you can pass. :p

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well since you were being very pedantic over gurusaprentice getting stuff wrong ... that would be 5.25" actually. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster