How long did you take?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by darrenwis, Feb 22, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi all,

I've asked a similar question about the A+ exam, everyone is different but how long did it take you to pass the MCDST?

70-271:

70-272:

Thanks,
    Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

This type of question has been asked before.

There really is no answer.

Everyone learns at different rates and it will also depend on background and experience within IT.

Some will self study, others will do classroom based courses.

Your best bet is to look at the official exam guides as they will generally give you an approximate guide as to how many hours of study are required.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Ah rite ok,

Let me slightly turn the question around then.

I will be looking for a entry level role into I.T. and i don't know whether to do the A+ and then N+ and then MCDST or just go for the MCDST? I already hold a business information systems degree?

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

See reply in your other thread (to avoid duplicate posts)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me personally, it took me 2 weeks. However I was already working in IT and already had alots of experience with XP.

To be honest, I would recommend doing the A+, Network+ and the MCDST as each of these certs compliment each other and teaches different skill sets.

IMO, it doesn't matter if you have a degree already. I gained my degree in Computing and still found those certs very useful.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I wholeheartedly agree.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

271 took me 4 weeks.

272 took me 1 year.

Doesn't really tell you much apart that I had a 48 week break between the two.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Do the A+, N+ and MCDST. You'll learn a lot as you go through each cert- whethere you have a degree or not :)

9. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

Hey!

I have no IT experience (but good with computers) and i just went for MCDST, i started a year ago in Nov, home study course was my option and i've covered all the material for the first exam. I did have to learn a lot while studying (suppose the other courses would cover this) thats why its taken me a bit longer...

I enjoy the course and seem to grasp most of it...eventually! I have recently had my first IT interview and got the job, so i'm doing something right. Hope to have MCDST exams done by June this year...well thats my plan anyway :)

Certifications: None for IT, workng on it
    WIP: MCDST