how long did it take you to study for the OS exam compared to the core

Discussion in 'A+' started by beaker, Nov 6, 2006.

1. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

hello all,
    i started studying for A+core(2003 syll.) around April this year and reckon i'll be ready for the exam about new years. So i'll be left with about 3 months to study for the OS exam (if I pass the core!), which is less than half the time it took me for the hardware. I looked through my course text and it doesn't look anywhere near as much tho so what do you think? is it worth me cramming to take it before march? or should i stop what i'm doing now and start the 2006 syll.

thx in advance 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - i failed the core and passed the os... its down to which you feel more comfortable in, core or os, and its also down to how much hands on experience you have...

make sure you know the objectives of the OS and book the exam, i think its best to start cramming on the last week or 2 before the exams. i still have my Core to do - failed prob a month or so, but still trying to fight on.

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Which A+ book are you using?

Only the mike meyers one already assumes you have 500 practical hours under your belt.:dry

I guess you could try learnkey or transcender tests to see if your ready?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You won't be able to pass the 2003 core by New Years, then pass the 2003 OS 3 months later because it will be retired by then. Both exams (Core and OS) have to be taken on the same version of the exam. Therefore, you must take both 2003-version exams or both 2006-version exams.

You can take the A+ Essentials and then your A+ elective using the 2006 objectives, but to my knowledge, there are currently no study guides or practice exams available for it yet - they're all currently in production.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

As CM has already said, it depends on what you find easier to take in. I started my A+ studies in April with no real experience in IT other than tinkering with my PC at home. I passed my Core at the end of July and then studied for OS till Mid Oct when I passed. I actually studied the Hardware longest even though I feel more comfortably with the Core. I think this was because I hadn't taken an exam for ages so I was a little over cautious before booking it.

I think if you can pass 2003 exams then you might as well study like crazy for the next few months and try to qualify before the new material comes in.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  6. BosonMichael

Next few weeks... the old exams retire on 12/31/06.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate i sure sure that the latest is end of March 2006 for UK bods to sit their 2003 objectives for A+ :blink

8. BosonMichael

My mistake - I see you are correct.

You know that we Yanks are completely Ameri-centric, right? :D heh! :oops:

9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Well it certainly can be done within 3 months but it depaends on your experience, the hours you put into studying and how quickly you learn and retain info. Only you can answer if 3 months is enough or not.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Uh? Are the old exams being retired at different times on either side of the pond?:blink

WIP: 70-270
  11. BosonMichael

Yes - it's 3/31/07 in the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and UAE; and 12/31/06 in all other locations. To further complicate matters, educational institutions with an E2C contract with CompTIA can schedule the old version of the exam even later - 6/30/07, 8/30/07, or 12/31/07, based on location.

Here's the list of retirement dates broken down by location: linkage

12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Michael. Very odd decision that.

WIP: 70-270
  13. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

While it is correct that the 2003 exam will be retired 31/3/07, it's still best to check with your local test centre as my one is only accepting exams for 2003 material till 31/12/06

WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  14. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

thanks Rafek, i'd better do that and it could make my decision a lot easier! I think i'm going to go pedal to the floor and try and get it all done before March anyway :onthePC thx again

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA
  15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

It has taken me 5 months to complete them both, maybe slightly quicker with the OS exams than hardware. I used transcenders to help me aswell, they are canny.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house