How little do I know?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Fanatical, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Or really the question should be: How much knowlege do I need to start my A+ Cert? I started a A level course in computing when at college but didn't finish (yes, I am that stupid folks).

I'm pretty handy with most aspects of how a pc runs but not the inner workings/Hardware, alot of the terminology confuses me and I'm pretty sure things i do recognise have moved on in the 9years since I was at college. For instance, checking over a practice A+ exam I came across at least one thing in each question that I didn't really understand. I don't know what a DIMM is etc, which is priobably ironic at least! :dunce

Is there any good literature to get the basic (and I probably do mean really basic!) knowlege. Is there some kind of test I could take, a kinda IT-IQ test?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hiya fan.

Seems you know where to start if your already thinking of the A+... Its a good grounding for IT systems as it covers both hardware and software.. Only thing is its due an update this year so newer tech would be in the exam and some of the older stuff dropped, tho i wouldnt like to say what.
    For books that cover the content of the A+ try....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...94834/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_3_5/026-1684196-5810005
    Mike Meyers' A+ Certification Passport (Mike Meyer's Certification Passport S.)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...94834/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_3_4/026-1684196-5810005

These 3 can go in depth but they all cover the exam objectives to date... an new Meyers book is due out in sept 06 apparently.

As for anything easier id say forget it..use these and do the a+ as its recognised as enrty level technician qualification, anything more basic and your looking at the type of adult education courses usualy titled something like... IT for idiots or Computers for the elderly!!

(by Dimms are a newer form of memory thats been around for 3 years or so?? They tend to be faster than simms that your probably aware of...not to mention RAMBUS, DRAM etc etc....)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

DIMMS have been around for much much longer than that!

Although i dont diagree with books.. and as alot of people will agree with me there is ONLY one book for A+ - the A+ All in one guide... forget about upgrades just yet because i think they will only come out end of the year - mikes book is due out in septemeber and comptia havent even said on record they are.. i suggest you read the a+ forum we have and you will find lots of handy info in there! 8)

Good Luck! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Ta, I'll definatly get the Myers book as it comes so highly recomended. I've got an old work pc to take apart, does the Myers book give pictured instructions about what things are? Are we talking baby steps or is there quite an emphasis on having a high level of base knowledge?

I'm quite embarrised to come on here and have to say how little I feel I know. I'm not an idiot but I kinda feel likie one when people say well you know about yada yada and blash blah and I'm like ummm, not really.

Ta for the advice so far, but keep it coming! :biggrin

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Don't be. Welcome to a helpful place - welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

look before you open a pc up read some of the book... start from chapter 1 and it will be all go! When you mean new to PC's how new?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The style of writing in Mike Myers book is great for learning. The guy has a real energy for what he explaining and it comes across in the book. Its not heavy reading either so for a first book aiming towards a cert it’s well worth a read.

If you have any other questions just post in the A+ forum as many of us have studied for and passed the A+ exam. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

well, I'm 25 and last looked at tbe inside of a pc in any detail when I was 16/17. :eek:

I'll pick up the book asap then and get reading, I guess between the book and getting help online I should be able to grasp the more comlpex parts!

9. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

The question isn't so much 'How little do I know?',rather "How much am I willing to learn?".You're in the right place for all the help and advice you'll need to prepare for your A+.I came here with little to no knowledge of the requirements laid down by CompTia and am now nearing my A+ exams with the knowledge and confidence needed.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions and let us know how you're getting on from time to time.There is a wealth of knowledge and answers on the forums and there's ALWAYS someone willing to help if needed.

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: A+ Network+