How important is to be a member of a professional body?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by albertc30, May 12, 2010.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello everybody.

I have just filled in an application form and once again, there's a space for membership of professional bodies...

How important is this and will it actually increase your chances of landing a job?
    What professional bodies can one join? IT related?????

Any comments please bring them on.

Cheers.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

In my opinion, it doen't help at all with getting a job. Esspecially in todays climate. Experience and qualifications counts not membership to some pro body. Only if job/company is somehow related to that body...
    From my experience, when I apply for job where there are 200+ applicants nothing really helps!

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I think it depends on the level of the position, for senior management positions it does count more if you have a membership to a professional body but not so much at the junior level.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I'd go with what SimonD said. I've been contemplating joining the ICS when I return to Europe but all the conferences they hold are at completely inappropriate times!

I don't consider it as something that would help me to gain employment per se but it would certainly reflect upon my character well.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

IMO it shows that you regard your career as a profession and whilst it is not a job winner per se it goes a long way to show your interest in the area in which you work.

You may also have noticed that CF has a Professional Body forum so you might want to view some of the posts in there :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I know my membership of BCS and my PRINCE2 and ITIL Certs put me above the other candidates at the job I just left, they asked me why I took them and why I am a member of BCS and I told them because I believe in IT as a career not just a job, so even if it just shows I take IT seriously as a professional, along with ITIL (as every company should have standards and everyone in IT should know about processes and standards). That is what made them take me on.

So it has helped me out, granted it wasn't the be all and end all, but it put me above those that just happen to work in IT.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I don't think it's 'important' in the sense of landing you a job, but it does show that you have outside interests and pursue your career outside of the office. It also shows that you're likely to be up to speed on the latest goings on in the industry.

For some senior positions or in certain industries it may be desirable to have people on board who play a role in professional bodies. It can be good for networking and especially if that person is part of a steering group or comittee.

However, beware of too many memberships as it might begin to look like a conflict of interests in terms of time and commitment.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For me it's a 3 way thing...

1. I joined the BCS to support the IT Sector/field in becoming a proper recognised professional - along the lines of nurses, doctors, laywers, teachers, etc... And not just an "anyone can do it" (eg cowboys, and not the wild west types either) just because they know how to use word...

2. The next level of jobs that I'll be looking at either list membership as a requirement or desirable, and...

3. A route to gain Chartered Status.

I've joined professional bodies that reflect my role (as it were):

The ILM for management, the BCS for IT, the CMA for telecoms (as they are part of the BCS group) and I use to be a member of the IfL when I was a lecturer (but have now given that up).

IT/Computing related organisations/associations include:

The BCS, The IET, The IEEE, The ETA, The ACM, The ACP and the list goes on...

Of course it does depend on your field of IT, this will sway you to which professional association you join 9if you decide to join). Personally, I would say the BCS or the IET - but that's just my view :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Just teasing but that reminds me of this Dilbert video (fast forward to 4m20s).

:biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Same as above ^^ I joined the BCS as a member (MBCS) to support IT as a profession, in the same way that Legal, Medical, Engineering professionals support their industries. BCS having a royal charter, being a charity and having been around since the 50's, made it the logical choice for me. I upgraded my membership to Chartered IT Professional a few months later. It wasn't an easy thing to do but I'm glad I went through it (online video interview with two professors!) as it validates my experience over the last 10 years in IT. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs