How I hate those "wise" suffixes.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Bokkie, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Bokkie

Bokkie Bit Poster

Am I the only one that hates words ending in -wise? For example, weatherwise, moneywise, sportwise and what have you. I lean in the direction that such an infestation of these suffixes is down to lazy english on the part of the speaker and writer. Even my wife has started using them.:(

Perhaps they will die out in a year or two or worse still they will be added to the OED and become mainstream linguistic currency. It reminds me of a season a few years back when the BBC copywriters discovered a new word: promulgate. The BBC news became peppered with promulgation. Barely a major headline or tickertape appeared without something being promulgated in some form or another. I have no problem with the development of english, it is after all, a dynamic language.

But all this -wise nonsense is getting out of hand. It makes me annoyedwise. I don't mind promulgating that.

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Ahh you are speaking of the wisegate scandal!! In case you haven't guessed, the press putting 'gate' on anything vaguely scandal related is a pet hate of mine.

Watergate scandal I get, because it happened at the Watergate hotel .... Man they must have been busy there since the 60's for every other scandal to happen in the same place! :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

yep gate grinds my gears also!!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Bokkie

Bokkie Bit Poster

Also, don't get me started on "staycation". I passionately detest that word.

5. xrchris

xrchris Bit Poster

I have agree with those as well as virtually every news item begining with the phrase "The BBC has learned....."

Certifications: HNC Computing (Software Development)
  6. Bokkie

Bokkie Bit Poster

"The BBC has learned..." was probably coined by the same person who decided it was better to promulgatewise. That's another one they overuse.

It's almost as bad as Sky News relentless hunt for an "expert" everytime they run short of news (another day at the office, then) and decide an "expert" will fill in the gaps when their newsreaders run out of asinine questions to ask.

7. Meshan

Meshan Bit Poster

Centric

As in customer-centric
    As in Media-centric

M

Certifications: HCIMA, BIIAM, BSc (Hons),
    WIP: MCITP (70-622)
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I am indifferent to the use of "wise" suffixes but I positively applaude the use of "wise" prefixes. Us "Wise guys" carry our money in a clip ya know :gun :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

http://www.thecitizen.org.uk/articles/vol2/article19k.htm

Its gotta be possible to put together a version of this for watching news broadcasts, or at least a drinking game to make the whole experience more bearable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...piles-list-of-top-ten-irritating-phrases.html

All of the above top ten annoy me, particularly "2 - Fairly unique" its either unique or its not dumbass and mentioned in the discussion following the article "No offence, but . . ." just be offensive and get it over with, if you start a sentence like that you know its going to piss someone off by the end anyway.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You guys need more important things to worry about. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have no problems with new words - they're media fads that don't tend to reach decent newspapers (The Times) or radio stations (Radio 4) *grabs hat and coat*

It's the management speak fads, which I often can't avoid, which do me.

In terms of... outside the box we... laterally thinking you... on the same hymn sheet...

*grrr*

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA