How hard/easy to get IT job with A+ and N+ in UK?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by MrZiGrishenko, Oct 28, 2009.

1. MrZiGrishenko

MrZiGrishenko Bit Poster

HI all,

just wanted to know, if i pass my A+ and N+ within the next year -(if i start now) how difficult is it to get a job an IT support/helpdesk/network support?? In UK?

also what other jobs are available with a+ and N+?

thanks

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well it really does depend on various things:

1. Location, location , location.
    2. What other certs/skills/experience you have already.
    3. What you actually use for job hunting (eg using multiple avenues for job searching is better than just using 1 source, eg 1 agency).
    4. The current recession status.
    5. The layout of your CV/cover letter, coupled with your interview techniques.

If you don't already have experience:

Practically any tier 1 support role, give or take... eg workshop, helpdesk, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

About as difficult as getting any other kind of job at the moment!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. MrZiGrishenko

MrZiGrishenko Bit Poster

ok then....ive seen lots of 1st line support jobs on it job website going - got to start somewhere!! they are normally on a helpdesk or as parts of a support team - but this is where you aim for in 1st job in IT right?

they'll take you on with no exp. because thats where everyone has/had to start.

it might be as hard to get a job in anything these days with all the budget cuts etc...but there is still a demand for network support and engineers /cisco. which is good in a way. right?

5. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

well, Having past my A+ and N+ about a year ago and with no other IT qualifications or professional experiance I can say that its extremly difficult.

Despite being unemployed for a year I still do daily searches through loads of agencies, job sites, I search for IT companies and large companies that have IT departments and apply to those individually, I search for trainee schemes and internships. I apply for first line helpdesk, desktop support, trainee netwrok engineer jobs and other random ones that only have a flimsy relation to IT etc etc, I am completly prepared to relocate anywhere in the UK or anywhere else and would happily work for minimum wage.

etc etc

In all I have had a few interviews, all of which led to nothing. I find the vasy majority of entry level jobs are asking for at least 1 year of experiance if not more making the notion of entry level laughable :P and even those that dont ask for experiance get ALOT of applications with tons of it plus qualifications that shame my CompTia certs :p

I am still looking :P

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Certifications: A+ N+
  6. Tieken

Tieken Bit Poster

What about work permit?

7. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

My company have just taken on a few people for the helpdesk, and the key thing is, they all have customer service skills, tbh, I'd but that ahead of certs for a helpdesk, 1st line job.

But at the same time, the people with IT certs are the ones that are doing the best.

Do your certs and try and get some customer service experience, even work in a local shop helps.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291