How fast is FAST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oilovlam, Aug 9, 2006.

1. oilovlam

oilovlam Bit Poster

I have to upgrade the hardware on four PCs and I was thinking of using FAST (Files And Settings Transfer wizard) to transfer the existing setup to the new machine. Source & destination are XP Pro (I think). Is this a good idea or are there better options. :ohmy

What's the transfer rate like. I'm a little afraid of starting FAST and several hours later having to explain to the peeved user why they still haven't got a computer.

Also, what does FAST miss out....does it transfer shorcuts, mapped drives etc?

Any sensible advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Certifications: CCNA, 70-270, SCJP 5
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Delete temporary Internet Files first, no point in transferring those files and it will save you some time.

It is a good utility but it does miss out Outlook profiles when configured to point to exchange server (this might be the case with other types of email accounts)and I noticed that it doesn’t transfer some shortcuts that have been configured to ‘remember username and password’, such as a VPN connection. This is obviously a security issue so make sure if any apps use a username and password check that the user knows what they are.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Oilo,

As for speed, it all depends on your target drive. Network drive
    (over ethernet) you are going to be looking at 100mbps, where a USB external can handle in theory 480 although most IDE drives will top out at 133 and i think SATA is around 150.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

question: is not normal imaging recommended in this sceanerio?

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I actually find it painfully slow even with the temp internet file cache emptied. So far I am not a fan.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As the hardware is going to be different, you might be lucky and the plug and pray enumerator will correctly recognise the new devices and be able to set itself up for the new configuration. However, more likely, you will be faced with a BSOD and then have to attempt a repair and before you know it, it's taking longer than a fresh install.

Also, nothing beats a clean install for giving a PC a new lease of life.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

ntbackup.exe

Do it simply, do it manually - use your storage source of choice. I like it - it works :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity