How far should I go before I'm classed as Paper Cert!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by TechySuperOZ, Aug 13, 2010.

1. TechySuperOZ

TechySuperOZ Bit Poster

Being reading CertForum a while now, looking for my first IT support role. However I'm doing few self study on Microsoft Cert, but do not want to over do it. I've got 8 months of hardware experience, and some experience on networking through last year CCNA evening class. Plenty of customer service experience. However no server experience. Currently studying 70-680 Windows 7 Configuration, after that looking into MCSA. Any suggestion?

Certifications: CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: MCTS
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

It's difficult to say as what one manager thinks will differ from the next manager.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As soon as your certified beyond your experience level.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

What he said. The moment you have a certification you dont have experience for, you are a Paper Cert.

Edit: Whether it hurts your ability to get a job or not depends on the hiring manager really, I suppose, but the definition remains the same.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Fergal1982

Actually, I should probably point out that this is less of an issue at the low end of the ladder. Its virtually expected that A+, N+ and MCDST are achieved with little to no experience in a commercial environment. As you move up the cert ladder, this becomes less the case.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

If you're motivated do them and then decide whether to keep or omit them from your CV etc.

7. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

You are already past it by some peoples judgement.

Alot of people here can go out and read books and get exams but after a few months how much has actually sticked and you could do in a real job. I think for exams you should maybe do 1 more than what you current role is.

What is your surrent role and how much commercial networking expeirence have you had at work?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with Fergal and GBL.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Fergal1982

This is probably reasonable actually. One beyond your level is probably an acceptable limit to push yourself to, although some certs (such as MCSE, etc) are so complex that they dont really constitute one level beyond.

10. TechySuperOZ

TechySuperOZ Bit Poster

Thank you all for advise. Currently i'm working in retail, like to start career in IT. As for experience I'll finish off 70-680 Windows 7 configuration, since thats as far as my knowledge goes. Unfortunately I don't have any real world experience on the networking side. So I'll put MCSA on hold for now. Now just need to get that job!

11. Gogs

Gogs Bit Poster

If you are looking for your first IT Support role then I would sell any "paper certs" by saying that you wish to gain practical hands-on knowledge to supplement your learning and you see this role as a stepping stone towards that, as I would think most companies (from my experience) wouldn't let you loose on a server anyway without any experience anyway. But by having studied them and (possibly) set up and managed a virtual domain it shows you are willing to learn and develop and have a career path outlined.

Certifications: in Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Server Administrator (646) , Security+
  12. TechySuperOZ

TechySuperOZ Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice! Using VMware and got a copy of Windows Server 2003 (120 days trial). Virtualisation is so much FUN!