How easy to get a job with Comptia A+

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by internetstalker, Jan 24, 2011.

1. internetstalker

internetstalker New Member

I'm currently studying for a Comptia A+

I'm wondering what sort of job I'd be able to get and more importantly how difficult will it be without any experience, to get an entry level IT job.

Is it worth trying to secure some work experiance first?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its difficult regardless of what certs you have especially if you have no experience.

You should start looking for jobs whilst you are studying and go for jobs that inlcude training i.e trainee positions or helpdesk jobs.

Some people have volunteered for charities and this counts as experience which is all important.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Hello

There are loads of different jobs you could apply for with a Comptia A+, Writing just from my experience/industry...

School/Collage ICT Technician - You usually report to a senior technician/Network Manager who is there to support and mentor you - this is how most of your ICT skills will come from, if you want to progress though its usually dead mans shoes (you don't have to poison your manager, just wait until he leaves for a better job). Prepare yourself for a lot of dirty work – carrying laser printers and old monitors from one end of the building to the other is a popular pastime for junior techs. :twisted:

Helpdesk - You usually answer the phone and try and fix the issue remotely, (try turning your computer on, is your mouse upside down, are you sure the caps lock is not on...), if you can't fix it then its usually on to 2nd line support, the more issues you can fix without passing on, the more likely you are to progress. Prepare yourself for abuse, when that phone rings any Muppet who knows how to mash your number into their telephone will be on the other end, with any sort of problem, and ITS ALL YOUR FAULT. :eek:

But after about 2 years of experience you can progress quite easily, then ICT becomes more about technology, and less about the Muppets who use it. :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

lol Cosway, so true. I've been carrying a HP Laserjet 8000 around the class as a teacher prefers it in the opposite classroom.

[​IMG]

Now I've got to run another 30m of cat5e just for the printer :(

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010