how doooo

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ledzepploid, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ledzepploid

ledzepploid Bit Poster

Hi

Another graduate here with a networking degree and no job. University was expensive and pointless, but a hell of a lot of fun and made a lot of mates. Still, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Anyway I've had around 10 months of experience in IT, around 4 months of simply preparing and rolling out pc's and 6 months of hands on desktop support. Well its a start!

I've decided to get certifications that would be relevant to the entry level jobs I'm applying for. I'll go for the comptia A+, and then the MCDST.

How much £ would I be looking at for each of these, and can anybody recommend some instructional software for the A+ course? I learn quicker by seeing and doing rather than reading. :biggrin

I've only just found this forum but its already developing my understanding of the IT industry and what I need to do. The article titled "The First Rung - Getting a Job in IT" is especially helpful. If your new to this forum then go read it! :)

Thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

Buying instructional software or doing a course can be expensive and these can be done much cheaper by getting the books and practicing at home.

The only software I would say for you to use is the http://www.learnkey.com/Aplus_2006 with Mike Meyers himself!

But they are very expensive, try the demo before you buy.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ledzepploid

ledzepploid Bit Poster

Thanks for the link.

How much does the comptia A+ exam cost?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You have to pass two exams to pass the A+

One is called 220-601 Essentials this is mandatory and the others you choose they are:220-602 IT Technicans,220-603 Helpdesk Technician and 220-604 Depot Technician. Most people do the 220-602 IT tech exam aswell as the mandatory one.

Each exam costs £111 + VAT and you book your exams through the pearsonvue or prometric websites. You will also find your nearest test centre on those sites.

You can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com and this put the price of an exam to £107 with no VAT to pay when you get your voucher code instead of paying pearsonvue with your debit/credit card you use the code given to you buy gracetech and this counts as payment. Gracetech only provide discount voucher for pearsonvue.

The best two books to get are compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Some spot-on advice there from GBL.

Welcome to the forums - and good luck with your studies and job hunts :)

And thanks for the article recommendation - glad it helped! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. ledzepploid

ledzepploid Bit Poster

Cheers for the info bruce lee. I'll go for the IT tech one as my elective exam. I'll defiantly be buying a voucher. Time to start revising then :)

7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Excellent advice from GBL :)

As for going to Uni & getting your degree, while it may seem pointless now. It'll be more beneficial to you later in your career; eg the higher you go. The types & levels of jobs I'm going for either recommend that you have a degree level education or expect you to have a degree level education.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, well said.

Having a degree, certs and experiance is a good combo on your CV. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the foums ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome aboard...

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:), having a degree is good and it's for life too.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell