How does one get the experience to get a better paid job in IT(with mcse etc)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by peace786, Aug 14, 2006.

1. peace786

peace786 Bit Poster

I have no experience in an IT job and I see companies like computeach on tv saying that they are the answer to a good paid job in it(after mcse training etc or whatever) but my question is this:

I want to haev a career in IT but where do I get the experience(that is needed - I know that without experience certs count for nothing) to eventually get a good paid job with an mcse? Do I do a cert like a+ and then apply for jobs...will these jobs stand me in good stead for when I do do an msce? If i was to do a mcse I know I wont get a job without experience but where do I get this experiece from and what experience will I need? basic networking experience? where can i get these jobs?

sorry if the above sounds confusing but I am stressed out as I dont know what to do

I would really appreciate advice

thanks

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

This is the situation known to most as <full circle>.
    You can't get a job because of no experience, and you can't get experience because you can't get a job. :x

My advice is to take up entry level certs (namely A+ and N+) by yourself and gain valuble experience setting up your own test network. Hopefully, you will get a job on the way and then its <up to you>.

Best of luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

You also have to crawl before you can walk.

No company is going to hand over their network to someone who just got their MCSE without experience, unless that individual has already been working for said company for a while. You may have to start on the help desk or desktop/pc support and work your way into IT. You may also have to start in a call center.

Also, stay away from training companies that tell you you'll get a great paying job right after training. I fell for one of offers 3 years ago and I'm still waiting on my "great" paying job, while repaying a loan I got ripped off on (although I am employed with a call center with a large ISP/communications company).

Remember, if it sounds to good to be true...............

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ill echo what the guys said... entry level certs like A+, Network+ first maybe even Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) then look at MCSA and FINALLY MCSE.

For example people dont become surgeons overnight... they need to do this degree in normal medicine then this Ph.d then this Ph.d to finally become a heart surgeon. IT isnt any different to get to zero to MCSE you need to work your way up slowly and possibly painfully...

As a target get a+ n+ and mcdst then apply for jobs...

JMO8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics