How does 270 compare to the MCDST exams?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by nickb, Aug 13, 2007.

1. nickb

nickb New Member

Hi,

Today i passed 270 with a score of 873. My question is after all of my hard preperation for 270 will I find the two exams for MCDST on a similar level, easier or harder?

The route to MCSA is quite a long one so I figure if the MCDST exams cover a similar content to 270 and I can have a higher qualifaction than MCP very quickly and it will count as my elective on MCSA then i will take the exams over the next week.

So... if i can pass 270 can i expect to pass the MCSDT exams with minimal prep? The comments of people who have studied and passed the mentioned exams would be highly appreciated.

Thanks all. :biggrin

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most people believe the MCDST exams are easier than 70-270.

So does that mean it will take minimal prep? Depends on your experience. It *could* take longer than 70-270... that depends entirely on YOU. It'll probably take you less time to study for 271 and 272 than it did for 270... but don't underestimate them. When someone says "minimal prep", the first thing I think of is someone who thinks it's so easy, they don't need to study much... far too often, that overconfidence ends up with a failed exam as the result! :blink :biggrin I'd recommend skimming through the study guides, studying in detail anything that you don't already know.

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the exam pass. BM put it well, I agree with him.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I should be taking the MCDST exams before the end of August so I'll let you know what I think of them afterwards. Even though I know XP like the back of my hand and have done the 270 etc.. I'll still be having a good look through the study material for the exams. At the end of the day MS exams aren't cheap and it would be ashame to under-estimate them and waste the money.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

the 271 shouldnt pose too much of a problem for 270 certified bods but the 272 is heavily biased towards OE/outlook and office xp/2003, which is not covered in the 270. So you will need to know a good bit about office features and functions.

Although 271 is pretty much a watered down 270 it is a different exam because it tests different skills so it might be worth a bit of swotting but I wouldnt spend too much time on that, I would concerntrate on the 272 if I were you.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I thought the 70-270 exam was similar to the first MCDST exam but a little harder.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

done MCDST and working towards 70-270

and as far as I can see MCDST is more 'helpdesk role focused'
    like it was said before there is more outlook/office stuff in it.

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  10. nickb

nickb New Member

Well today i passed 70-271 with a score of 833, my 2nd pass this week. Im sure i had some questions repeated from the 270 exam earlier this week. There are a fair few simple questions on there and the rest focused heavily on identifying problems from screenshots of the performance tab and troubleshooting connectivity and security issues with IE. The rest were all simplified 270 questions........that said i achieved a slightly lower score on this exam but hey.

Just 272 left to take at some point next week depending how the reading goes then ill have my MCDST and 270 and that there is my ground work done to getting a new job and the start of some serious study for the final 2 MCSA exams. Happy Days!!

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

well done :D :D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  13. Pabs

Pabs Bit Poster

I know it's a bit late - but well done!

Today I've completed my MCDST, So am moving onto 70-270 very soon I hope. Going to get a bit of revision done, and then book the exam using the 2nd-shot offer MS have at the moment - hopefully I won't need it but you never know!

Certifications: MEng, MCDST, MCSA, CCA
    WIP: ITILv3, CCENT, MCTS