How do you view cpp files in the Command Prompt?

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Alex Wright, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I agree with that sentiment completely. I played with C++ on my own for a few weeks about 4 years ago. What a nightmare. It's not something to be undertaken by a total novice on his own, at least not unless that novice is very exceptionally talented. Like in the top .00005% of the population or something along those lines. For the average joe, such as me, he's miles ahead learning the fundamentals of programming elsewhere, and then moving to something that requires as much knowledge from a coder as C/C++ does.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

No, not at all! Being a confident coder is approaching all problems with a "can-do" atitude: having the confidence in yourself to overcome problems.

All programmers have to overcome apparantly insurmountable problems when presented with them. If an individual has a defeatest attitude then they will never be successful in the world of programming. Ultimately, C++ is just another language that is daunting at first, but there is no reason why the determined individual couldn't eventually learn in to write fancy applications. :)

Well, whenever you learn a programming language you are also learning to program. You may not be proficient enough to write fabulous software, but you're programming none-the-less.

You can't learn to program in a language outside the context of solving problems, hence the initial problem that many new programmers are presented with in getting the computer to print "Hello, World!" to screen even before they touch a compiler.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  3. Mathematix

I sometimes forget that statements that appear clear to me because of my train of thought are not always clear to the majority. Apologies. :inv

4. Mathematix

I now people who can code in C/C++ and are nowhere near the top fraction-of-a-percent of the population in terms of intelligence. The key with the language is to start with the very basics, code as many programs as you can using those basics until you clearly understand everything. Do not ever make any assumptions as to what is going on in code, since C/C++ itself tells you little to nothing about what is going on under the hood unless you understand.

Alway, always consult experts in the language when learning. By this I don't mean a mate who has been learning for six months, I mean someone who has been doing it for years and preferably has used it in professional development.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I think most of us are largely in agreement, its easy for things you don't understand to look like magic, I wouldn't class myself as anything other than average, ok possibly maybe a tiny bit above average in some areas. I would always reccomend finding the best teachers you can for everything in life, the ability to buy a book from a world expert for a mere £30 is to me a godsend, or attend a conference for a couple hundred pounds. Sometimes the best teachers are the people that understand the learning process more than the subject matter, this is especially true for beginners.

The point we are making is not that its impossible to learn, but that I wouldn't reccomend it as a first language in general.

When I took surfing lessons they gave me a bigger board, not the toothpick sized boards a pro uses to surf a pipe. They did this to assist in my learning process, and ensure that there was challenge and enjoyment in equal measure, theres countless examples of this wherever there are teachers and learners. Its possible to train hard but its also possible to train soft, different techniques have different advantages.

Ok with C++ you can limit the scope somewhat to try to limit the diffculty, thats one technique, it may work for some, In general I'd advise learning C or Java first. This like the surfboard example, somewhat artificially changes the problem and may make the learning process longer, but trying to skip this step for some may result in too steep a learning curve that is never scaled.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No probs. I'm guilty of the same thing from time to time, particularly when under pressure!

Harry.

(And I'm reminded of my definition of an 'expert'. "Ex" as in 'was' and "spert" (pronounce it!) as in 'drip under pressure')

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Mathematix

Heh. :biggrin

8. ffreeloader

Ahh.... Ok. I misunderstood your application of "confident coder".

9. ffreeloader

Well, I guess turnabout is fair play.....

I didn't mean that only a small fraction of people could learn to code C++, but that only a small fraction of people would really be successful at it while teaching themselves.

10. Mathematix

Not sure what you mean by "successful". Do you mean that they are unable to code anything meaningful after lenthy study of the language? I'm going to be bold and not particularly blame C/C++ for this - it's all down to the persistance of the individual.