How do you think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

How do you think / what type of revision helps you remember things best?

I find that anything with a kind of 'rhythm' or 'eccentricity' seems to sink in...songs - sometimes I DETEST this as with so many songs, If i've listened to them for more than 3 times, the words seem to sink into my head forever. New ones definitely go round my head when I'm sleeping - like they are being embedded or something - sometimes wake up aware that I'm processing a song / in the middle of replaying it and mid-verse (which is annoying if it's something I don't like much). I can even remember songs and poems that we sang in Brownies and Girl Guides years back...and word for word.

Also, numbers...I find it easy to remember registration plates, birth dates and house numbers / post codes as they all seem to have a pattern to them.

Do you process things via rhythm or more factually?

What process do you use to get information - such as for your exams etc into your head?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Repetition, and more repetition.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I just plug into the Matrix and get the info download :biggrin

It depends on what exam, but for the most part (like kevicho) repetition, practice, repetition, practice. By using a combination of books, CBT's, practice exams and hands on experience. Sometimes with rhythmic (with the radio/music or the tv in the background), but it does depend on my frame of mind at the moment in time.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

By repetition for learning stuff. As for remembering numbers like bank numbers I am like you there's a pattern to them

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Numbers are made more easier to remember by chunking. Phone numbers, for example, tend to appear in 3 blocks of 4-3-4 numbers to help you remember. Also, what works for me, rather than physically remembering numbers, I remember the sequence I type them into a keypad. Example, if I do any telephone banking and need to type in my account number, it's the finger pattern on the phone keypad I remember. If I need to recall the number, just need to visualise the keypad and what gets pressed in what order. Sounds weird but it really works!

Repetition and association is the easiest way for the long term memory to retain information. Information goes into the short term memory and needs to be in there long enough to be committed to the long term memory, but associating it witgh something speeds that up. So let say you read a fact, you can then associate that fact with something already retained, makes it a lot easier for recall later on

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I think chaotically with no order. This does make it hard to revise for exams, so i never bother. Repetition only works so far, yet i still forget some of it as i just cant concentrate long enough to repeat things enough times.
    I'm of the great homers school of thought

"Everytime I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my head!"

I've forgotten more than i can remeber and will never learn as much as i forget!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

We are borg. :borgsmile

Just kidding. Actually, what works for me has already been mentioned a number of times here and, in my research, seems to be the top method of reducing "bad habits" and cultivating good habits": repetition. Human brain structures actually change over time, depending on what you do habitually. If you spend most of your time on the couch, eating cheetos and watching soap operas, you are training your brain to be a better couch laying, cheeto eating, soap opera watcher. You aren't just what you eat but you are what you do.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Oh totally agreed - I am so fluent with that, that I fully cover my hand up when keying in a pin - it's a great thing tho can still remember the numbers for back-up 8)...

9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Cheers for that :thumbleft

10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Lol :biggrin

11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Very true!

12. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Pleasure. That's an incredibly short overview but that's the general principle:

Information goes in via senses
    Information goes to short term memory
    Depending on factors (e.g. amount of information taken in, frequency of new information, time spent on any singular piece of information etc) information does/does not get committed to long term memory. Everyone is different so different factors affect retention, just a case of finding out what works best

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  13. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i find if i'm interested in what i'm reading it sticks better than if i reading it coz i have to. I tend to find once i'm in the right mood and focused on what i'm doing i kinda have to ride it out and make the most of it. i tend to briefly read over what i covered the last time i studyed as a recap. Coffee also works wonders for me, it helps my concerntration no end :)

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've always had a good memory (well - at least, I have a good memory for facts, but not remembering things that have to be done around the house! :oops: ). But what works best for me is putting my hands on something. That way, when I read about something, I have something concrete to wrap my brain around, which helps me understand the concepts so that it's more than just words, words, words.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!