How do you study?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nXPLOSi, Dec 13, 2006.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I finally obtained my book for the 2006 Comptia A+ cert and am beginning to read through it. Problem is, im struggling to find ways to really take in the information and learn it.

How do you lot study? Is there any particular way which you've found sucessful? I never had to rely on self study, as in college there was always classes etc to help the progress.

Paul

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

IME you should tailor the way you study to your attention span.

For the N+, I have read the MMAIO book all the way through, without doing the questions or writing notes. Now I'm going to re-read it, with a *hopeful* overall grasp of the subject. Now I can start to jot down important notes and start testing myself on questions.

A chapter at a time is never too strenuous, and I find myself wandering away easily, so this suits my style. If you have a longer attention span, you could probably read/take in a bit more.

Also using record cards for 'buzz learning' - leaving acronyms or little notes scattered around your house or in your desk at work - helps little things sink in :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

As you know, everyone's mind map works differently so it's a case of finding a happy medium mate. It is a case of working out for yourself how to get the facts permanently stored in your long term memory.

Me personally, I am going through the MM book, I read every page and bullet point the important facts and expand on terms I have not seen before, then take the test at the end of the chapter. Now doing this will only mean I retain a percentage of what I actually read at the time, so by the time I get to the end of the book, I am liable to have forgotten a lot of Chapter 2, for example, but when I read over my bullet points, it is like a refresh. Because i have taken the time to actually write out something, I partially digest it unconciously, so when I re-read it, it all comes flooding back.

Also, I have to shut down any distractions. TV off, phone off, music off. I know this may sound stupid, but if you actually recite what you are learning as if you are lecturing or teaching, it really does help it stick as you also make an aural connection too which helps for remembering

That method got me my degree anyhow. Hope it helps :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the advise, alot does come down to attention span, I think a chapter at a time will do it for me as well.

Arroryn / Cockles, I think i'll try and combine both your techniques :twisted: , I'llread through the book and get an overall feel for it, hopefully taking in as much as my brain can take before rereading and perhaps then taking bullet point notes etc to refer back too.

I'll have to have a read through that topic as well, thanks for the link Mr.Cheeks :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Cockles - for a drunk santa - some sweet advice there!

7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Thanks buddy, you ain't so bad yourself for what appears to be a copulating insect :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This is how I study.

I start off with books/CBTs, then practice in a virtual environment, finally put it into a realistic environment (eg work).

I also use stuff like Transcender, measure-up and examcram Q&A's before I sit the actually exam though.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Pretty similar to Ken,

Get a book, read through it, apply stuff on a VM, and if chance comes apply it in the real world.

Transcenders before sitting the exam.

8)

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I also find studying away from your home environment without the obvious distractions of TV, radio, PCs etc is good - go and sit in a park or by a river and read - you will be surprised how much more sinks in.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'll have to give it a try, since I live next to a massive country park, I have no excuses either :twisted:

12. Insiderous

Insiderous New Member

"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I'll remember; involve me and I'll understand".

Involve yourelf - get an old PC, preferably two, you can pick up machines a few years old for peanuts. Pick up a screwdriver (unplug the PCs first if you haven't got to the health and safety bit in the book yet!) and remove the casing. Then when you read about cabling up a floppy drive, actually do it. Switch the PC back on. Does the floppy drive work? If it does, you'll be pleased that you've not only learned something in theory but proved to yourself that you can actually do it. If it doesn't, then this is where you learn the problem solving skills you're going to need. Worked for most of my old students, might work for you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, CIW
    WIP: MCSE W2K3, CCIE
  13. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I read through the book a chapter at a time and write down paraphrasings of the whole thing. I usually do it on my desk by the computer with the monitor turned off but the machine on so if I need to google something quickly I can.

Then I do test questions at the end of the chapter and take note of areas I need to go over.

When I've done the lot I'll make a revision plan and go over my notes again, do more practice questions brush up on weak areas etc. If there are labs I can do I'll fit them in. during initial study and revision stages.

Then I'll move on to the full on practice exams and go over weak areas.

And a new stage I'm about to add for my A+2006 - type up study notes and post them to my blog! :D

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging