How do IT employers view BTECs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, May 30, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

General question so to speak as I may go on to a BTEC Extended Dip in IT and was just wondering from an employers point of view would they value vendor certs more than a BTEC due to the BTEC being a formal school course? obviously you can't speak for every employer so I can only ask you to speak from your own experiences. I'm just asking out of curiosity your response wont affect my decision as I will be doing the course as the content looks interesting and valuable to me.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So speaking as a hiring manager I can honestly say that my choice will be experience and vendor certs, I have to admit that I am hiring experienced engineers and as such that is why I prefer the experience \ cert direction rather than scholastic qualifications, if I were hiring for EUC or Service Desk work I can't say for sure whether I would prefer BTEC or some experience in all honesty.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

One thing to add actually, don't forget that usually you have to get past HR first and foremost, they will be looking for vendor certs in the most part but the BTEC could tick their boxes as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Like SimonD, I do also sit on the interview panel and make hiring decisions for my department.

I do value the BTEC's, as the level 2 ones incorporate some (if not all) of the A+ and the level 3 ones incorporate some (if not all) of the Network+ (*dependent on the provider of the BTEC course and modules offered/taken). Also at the place that I work, one of the generic person spec for an IT Tech is that they need to have at least a level 2 qualification in IT or related subject. And the senior IT Tech or servicedesk supervisor needs a level 3 qualification in IT or related subject.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security