Problem How do i see the BSOD error code?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Haroon Mustafa, May 20, 2015.

1. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Hello,

I am wondering whether you can see a Blue Screen of Death message in your computer without having to wait for it to pop and kill the PC/Laptop

I have a laptop running Windows 7 and BSOD has ruined but to figure out the cause i have to see the error message. But the only way i know you can is by waiting for it to happen and quickly take note of the problem.

Is there not a place where this dump file gets stored?

Thanks
    Haroon

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

C:\Windows\minidump usually

see here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...of-death/0d7522e3-4ed1-448e-bda6-66441f042c0c

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

All the DMP files were dated for the start of this year so i ended up re-imaging it. Completely NUKE is my way of life at the moment.

Thanks anyway, will be keeping it for reference.

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So I would be concerned with hardware or driver issues, the trouble with BSODs is that they are caused by something and if they happen repeatedly then I would want to know why before rebuilding.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    dmarsh likes this.
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Apexes is correct, you can configure a minidump and also turn off the reboot on system error.

Then you can look at both the blue screen and also afterwards the dump.

If feeling brave you can use kernel mode debugger WinDbg to do CrashDump analysis, you should be able to determine which driver caused the issue and then report it to the manufacturer.

Haroon Mustafa and JK2447 like this.
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
    Haroon Mustafa likes this.