How do I log on to a wireless broadband connection?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by sjfalber, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjfalber

sjfalber New Member

Ok assuming that I have a wireless connection on my laptop which is enabled up and running connected and I am a happy bunny (which it isn't and I am not !) :(

Then .....do I log onto AOL account ? :eek:

I am confuzzeled I am currently logged on using my ethernet cable through Speedtouch 576 router using Windows XP (SP2 installed ) I activate my wireless account using the SSID name & key and then pull out my ethernet cable and I get plopped from AOL and 'Goodbye' :x

If it is any help whatsoever when I look at the properties on my wireless connection it shows 280sent packets and 0 received packets.

Can anyone assist pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee !
    :rolleyes:
    Sue

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

AOL can be a major problem in and of itself.

Assuming this is the same problem as you posted elsewhere I have commented there.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Do you mean the laptop you are trying to get working wirelessly drops out when you remove the ethernet cable?

You need to make sure you have the wireless adapter, either Centrino or the PCMCIA slot enabled and configured correctly.#
    The most common thing is to have Windows and the software manufacturer (the laptop or PC card) both running at the same time which conflicts each other. Some recommend to use their own software which is fine, so untick the "let windows take care of my wireless networks" in network connections.

It won't hurt to have the ethernet cable plugged in to the same laptop but i feel you aren't "surfing" wirelessly but via the ethernet cable...

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sue, as Harry has pointed out, you have already started a thread which is currently active. Starting another thread on the same subject is known as *cross-posting*. We discourage cross-posting because of the confusion it creates.

For anyone wishing to add further comments to Sue's wireless connection predicament, please do so in the thread below...

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread9202.html

Admin (J) : Thread closed for reasons given above.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)