How do I install other 'servers'?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by nugget, Dec 16, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This is more of a general question.

I would like to install SQL Server and MS Project Server to integrate with a vmware network. The problem is I know nothing about these two servers. Do I need to install them on an already existing OS (XP Pro, Server 2003 etc) or do I install them by themselves like an OS?

I know it sounds stupid but..........[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I believe they both must be installed on a pre-existing server such as Windows 2000 Server. I went to Microsoft.com and dug around their knowledge base and found a couple of links for you.

Install SQL Server 2000

Project Server 2003 Installation Guide

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Trip, I've been looking for it too but obviously not in the right place.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No worries, Nugget. I'm not all that fond of the search engine at Microsoft.com. Even when I think I'm put in an obvious search string, I come up with quite a number of barely relevant results and still have to review the result pages with a fine toothed comb to get to something simple (like "How to Install MS SQL Server 2000). Google sometimes helps but I've found it doesn't always locate the correct references at MS either. You just have to keep plugging away.

BTW, I'm sure you've heard this before (I know I have) but there are no "stupid questions". Nobody knows everything (not even Gav...LOL) and the smartest thing to do when you don't know something and you can't find the answer in the documentation is to ask someone.

Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+