How do i get my boss to let me get involved in more projects.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Big_nath, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi All,

I want to get involved in more projects and server work.

Let me first explain my situation I am 1 of 2 ICT Techs, above us we have a curriculum network manager and above him our systems manager. I have recently become an MCSA (working towards MCSE). I know know i should have waited until i had experience, but i went with a TP and at the time thought it was the way to go. Neither of my managers have a strong IT knowledge/ background. An example of this is that, i regularly get asked how to setup different things on the server, how to deploy packages, setup group policies etc. I don't have a problem with this, but i want some recognition.

I also want to get involved in more projects and development. My boss knows i'm capable and has said it many times, but when ever some thing that is over he's head (setting up new server etc) he hires an external contractor. Every job i have ever been asked to do i have done, and i have never messed anything up!

I personally think the reason is because, he doesn't want it to look like i know more than him. Which i can understand.

I have 2 questions

Does anyone have any suggestions to overcome this? or has any one every encountered a similar situation?

How do i get my boss to allow me to use my skills and gain more experience with related technologies.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ask.

If he refuses, it's time to look elsewhere.

Simple as that! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Thanks BM, i had a feeling that would be the answer. I have been looking, i think i want to move to a larger company anyway.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The only way to be honest, is to have a talk with him... explain how you feel. If he is a good boss, you will get that opportunity. I am in similar boat but my boss trusts me and delegates some of the work to me. If I do it right, he will give me more work.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If he doesn't come to you with any projects, go to him with some.
    Suggest things that could be done and sooner or later he'll give you something to do even if it's just to shut you up.

Be aware though, he's not going to want you getting involved in something that's 'over his head' as it's going to make him look bad.

In the early instances, aim for something low that nobody else wants to do, do a good job of it and hope to get noticed. Go round defragging desktops or documenting software licenses. Whatever.

And don't feel too bad about him outsourcing. Unless you are a really titchy company, nobody is going to say 'we need to upgrade our exchange server, I know, let's get the junior tech who's studying his MCSA to do it because I sure as hell can't.'

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well you're "Big" Nath aren't you ? Sort it ! :p

Seriously tho', can be an awkward situation and never any harm looking around but I'd also have a word (appraisal time?) or even a quiet word with someone above him if you get no joy.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I have spoken to him about stuff before. I told him that it would be a good idea to look into WSUS, he said it was pointless. I said we should use more group policies, he said it was pointless. He doesn't seem to see the benifits in anything.

8. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I've been here nearly 2 1\2 years and never had an appraisal! I have aske several times and i get told "when i get one, you get one".

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well it's down to 2 choices then. Either go over his head (careful how you handle that one) or move on.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. BosonMichael

This is absolute truth. Repped.

When those outsourcing companies come by to do their thing, use those opportunities to learn from the consultants, if you are allowed to do so.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. BosonMichael

Sounds like a winner. :rolleyes: If that's his attitude, I'd have been out of there already.

12. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

You are right, i need to move on. I need to be in an enviroment where i am valued and where i get the opportunity to use skills i have learnt and learn new things!

13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

too funny, rep!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's a tricky situation.
    If he can't be bothered to do anything and nobody else seems to mind, it means you're pretty much on your own and are unlikely to win.

Learn from the guys you outsource to, help them out and build a few bridges.

Then start looking elsewhere, keep taking their pay and if they don't want you to streach yourself then don't.
    It's easier to find work when you are still employed and you haven't got the pressures of bills to pay.

Unfortunately there are lots of small companies out there who negelct HR issues such as personal development and appraisals. However, sometimes that sort of company also lacks a lot in the way of structure and allows you to work outside the box a lot.

There is a happy medium somewhere, as believe me, annual appraisals, targets and goals sometimes aren't the great thing you might think and don't necessarily further your career as you would like them to.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Nath, only just seen this thread now. I've only worked for 2 companies during my IT career, both are global giants (IBM & ATOS) and I can tell you now, this wouldn't happen in either. Quite the contrary infact where by you have to watch what you wish for in our place because you'll probably get it! Its great being involved in projects, upgrades, I love new kit, blades etc.

To be honest tho mate, you may be a genius, but your boss might not be able to see it. Give him a chance. Be proactive, look around you, at something you could improve like upgrading an aging server or throwing the latest release of Exchange in. Write a short summary of why you want to do it and how it would benefit the company. Also write what you would do if anything doesn't go to plan so a plan of how to back out your change basically i.e. keep the old server and if the new one has an issue, plug it back in (thats a simple example but you know what I mean). And go make a sales pitch to your boss. Tell him you will do it and that you are suitably qualified, will test it in the lab first, go through change management (if you have it, ITIL) etc.

That way you are putting your future career move in his hands. He might be taken back by such an organised appealing proposal that could make you and him look good. Now bear in mind, budgets are tight in a lot of firms so if this is the reason don't be disheartened BUT if he clearly doesn't believe in you, or suggests he'll get a contractor in to put it in place, its a dead end position and you can do better.

You are in a good situation because you already have an IT job and its always best to apply for a new job while you still have money coming in, takes a bit of the pressure off.

Anyway, best of luck, thats my opinion for what its worth

Jim

PS Only reason I've put where I've worked is because you mentioned maybe you should move to a bigger company

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

slap him with 2 by 4 :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. JK2447

Wizzard he's Big Nath, not Hacksaw Jim Duggan :lol:

Attached Files:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Big_Nath should change his name for a laugh and use that as an avatar :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. JK2447

ha ha I must admit cos he's called big nath I can imagine him to be like someone from the WWF or what ever its called now :lol:

20. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Seems like he is pi55ed off in his job and that is causing you problems. If someone came to me and asked to install WSUS I would first be amazed that somebody cared and then would assign it as a project for the tech.

Sounds like it might be time to move on...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs