How Do I do a Windows Repair?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I am having a problem connecting to the Internet. I have a bellsouth fast access DSL connection. And my computer is running Windows XP. When I run Netscape I get “browser.netscape.com could not be found. Please check and try again” I called Bellsouth tech support and after all the diagnosing they decided the computer needed to be taken to a repair shop. One of the reasons they made this decision was because none of the devices on my computer were showing in Device Manager and decided that the problem was out their hands. So before I take my computer to the repair shop. Does anyone have some good suggestions.

Someone told me there were two things I could do one was a Windows Repair.The second involved something a little more complicated.Please I need to get my computer running as soon as possible.Could someone tell me how to do a Windows Repair.

Thanks,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A Repair Installation of Windows is simply to rebuild the OS over the top of itself.

To do this simply boot from CD, as you would if you were going to do a fresh install.

When you are going through the options on one of the screens it will say Repair. Simply select this option.

Always make sure that you back up your data first though!

8)

None of your devices at all showed up in the device manager? :eek:

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If the last set of instructions I gave you were too difficult you should have said something.

Here is a link to another possible fix. It's very simple. If you, or an update you installed, has turned off the Plug and Play service this will fix that problem as turning off the Plug and Play service will cause an empty Device Manager according to Microsoft.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Hey what I did was I just reinstalled Windows XP. All my devices are back in device manager and I am able to connect to the Internet.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +