How difficult is MCSE?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by JazzyJay, Nov 4, 2006.

1. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

Guys,

Now I've landed a Helpdesk role with my currunt employer and earning 4k more than I did I would like to consider taking my MCSE next year at my local college at weekends, They are curruntly charging £995 for MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CompTIA Security+, OCR, iPRO over a 42 week period and although I completed my A+ with them and found them to be very honest and a highly reputable adult college my question is...
    Is it possible to successfully study for MCSE etc as I am only A+ certified and been working in a Helpdesk for a few weeks my knowledge level lets say its still quite basic.

I know the college well and found their facilities excellent but dont want to waste 1000k on a course I have no chance of understanding/passing etc..

Would it be more beneficial to go for Network+ next then MCSE or is it possible to save a few hundred quid and go straight for the juggular which is MCSE,MCSA etc..

Cheers Guys.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi

It depends on your current level of knowlage! I found doing my A+, N+ and MCSE (W2K) a challange! It took me about 2 years to do and I had 15 years experance under my belt.

If you do A+ and N+ you can count this as one MCP towards your MCSA and you are 50% of the way there on that one.

Good luck

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It does depend on your current IT experience. Its also worth considering the volume of work required for the MCSE, 7 exams! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

do network+ or you will struggle with 70-291, one of the exams needed to get MCSA and MCSE. Also that price they quoting isnt bad if i have read correctly!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would say it depends on your experience and learning aptitude. The MCSE is targeted at people that have at least a years experience looking after Microsoft server products. There is much to learn and it's a long slog. I am sure many people drop out along the way, I know a mate of mine did after he coughed up 11500 bucks. He is now an MCP.

I would do the N+ next and then go for MCSA. If you still feel the need for the MCSE you can still go on and do that later.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Well, take MCSA and do your job. I think it just takes you up to 2 years at least.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  7. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

Thanks for your comments guys.

I think i'm getting carried away really..
    Only just landed the job so I think ill just do the Network+ and then actually do the job for a year or two then maybe take an XP course perhaps just to get used to Microsoft exams as I am told at work they can be a bit long winded!

Then decide what to do then I guess

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be worth going for Vista exams by then mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs