How did you study for the A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Davidh1819, May 9, 2010.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Hello

I seeking advice on the best studying strategies for the comptia A+ 2009. I have noticed that chapters in the mike Myers study guide are divided. With the first half of the chapter saying essentials and the other half practical. Would be be good idea to read through the essentials parts first complete the essentials exam and then read the practical parts. or alternatively read the entire book cover to cover then sit both exams in short intervals?

any advice would be much appreciated :)

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Treat the two exams as one exam in two parts.
    I tried to split the 2006 version into 2 separate parts, didn't work. The material is too closely linked for you to only be able to do 1 at a time.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As said do not treat the sections that say essentials as being only covered by the essentials exam or the parts that say IT tech or practicle for those exams. There is quite a lot of overlap between the exams so just treat the book as one big book and the exams as one exam with two parts.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Yes, as said above, treat it as one big test in two LONG parts! When you take it don't let too much time slip between the two. Some on these forums have taken them one after the other! Personally, I thought that would be too much punishment so I took one at the end of a week (Friday), used the weekend to recover and refresh (study, study, study) and took the other on Monday. Passed both (843 and 819). Personally, I prepared over 2,000 flash cards and used the iPod program Cram to do my studying. It worked great!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple