How did you get into computers?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Sep 9, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is sort of a companion thread to "What Do You Do?". A few people have mentioned briefly how they got "hooked" on computers, so I thought it would be a good set of stories for everyone to tell. Natch, I figured I'd start off by telling my story, but I discovered I already had, at least in brief, in "What Do You Do?":

For those who haven't included how they got into computers in the "What Do You Do?" thread, here's your big chance.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'll add a brief summary of both my "What Do you Do" and "Musical Interests, Anyone ?" contributions ...

I was asked to join a band, which I did. I then thought it would be a good idea to get a website setup for us. So, I called upon an ex-college mate (and IT guru) to see if he could help.

He duly obliged, but then got SOOO fed up of me giving it "What does it look like, what pictures are there, what did you say in the text, could you add in this ...!" that he finally "threw" a PC at me (spare form work, he said :wink: )

So, then I decided the 28k modem wasn't loading fast enough, and got a 56k for it. He talked me through that...

Then I realised it's still too slow. "Add some more RAM" he said ....

Then I said I was really enjoying the learning curve, and could he tell me how to add another hard drive ? To which he replied ....

P*£$ off and do a course on the stuff !!!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've always had an interest in electrical appliances since an early age, I was a nightmare with old appliances that had stopped working. I would whip out a screwdriver and see what was inside, see how it worked then try my best to fix it.

I guess that curiosity led me into computers and my first one was the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
    [​IMG]
    http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=223

Then i moved to the ZX SPECTRUM +2
    [​IMG]
    http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=221

Then onto the AMIGA 500
    [​IMG]
    http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=65

Then onto the AMIGA 1200
    [​IMG]
    http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=628

Then I had a huge break from technology until about 3 years ago when I decided to get a PC and restart my interest in computers. The rest they say is history....

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Computermonkey

Computermonkey Bit Poster

Funny because I was the same way. I would always wonder what made the thing tick... I would say I got interested in computers in 97'. I wanted to upgrade my ram, so a computer guru I knew got me the ram that I needed and said "You do it"... I was afraid that I would break the computer, so I got up the nerve and did it... there was nothing to it, so I wanted to do more upgrading... I liked computers so much that I finally decided thats what I wanted to do as for a career. My computer guru friend was reading an A+ book a few years ago and that got me interested in A+ as well... Well, guess who stuck with the A+ and got certified? Me! *LOL*

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I was at the tender age of about 10 or 11 when school started a computer class, they bought a single ZX81 with 0.5 K of memory, the teacher taught us some basic, we would hand write simple programs which he would type in :) the 0.5k memory upgrade to the full 1k was a big deal. It was all down hill from there .... does this age me somewhat?

My first computer at home was an Atari 600xl then Atari 800xl, Atari ST, Amiga then on to the murky world of PC's. Being terminally stupid I still didn't realise I should be working with computers until after a manky HND in automotive engineering... doh!

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Lets just say Phil I was a few years older when I got my ZX81 Phil!

7. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

I was a late starter, well kind of. My folks got an Apple computer for their business about 23 years ago ( aparently the first PC in the western isles !) which my brother and his mates would write programs on to make squiggly lines go across the screen and the likes. The racecar driving game (18 quid !) was to steer a "0" between two lines of Xs which went from side to side of the screen. Brilliant at the time !

Anyway i was more into jumping of roofs, rafting and mudfights to bother with computers.

So 2 years ago i wanted to do something totaly different and decided on IT. Started a course on the MCSE found it quite interesting, but since making a website for our local golf course, i am thinking of trying some kind of qualificaqtion there. So far 4 other companies have asked me to make sites for them. I even enjoy being up till 4 am working on making different buttons and all that.

I do miss being on roof tops and the odd mudfight, but now and again myself and a couple of mates get together with a wee dram, go for a wander and fling cow pats at each other...ahh the good old days are still here.. :D

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  8. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

OMG SimonV.... thats almost exactly the same path I took :)

A few Spectrums (although I never had a ZX81, friends and cousins did and kinda got hooked before getting my own - or alt least waiting for xmas and hoping Father Christmas would get one for me... I was only 7-8ish I think??)

Followed by the Amiga... that was a computer well ahead of its time!

I had Amigas for quite a while... didnt convert to PC until I bought my first (and only) PC from a shop. It was a Pentium 90 - Intel had only just released it. The PC had 16MB Ram and a 400 Meg HDD.

Since then I have built my own computers... must be on my 8-9th MoBo now at least!

I sold my spectrum's - I wish I kept them evem just to frame on the wall! Still have my Amiga though... somewhere in a box in the garage.

I really got hooked on the programming aspect of the Spectrum. Sat there for hours typing in basic... all for the record button to be pressed at the wrong time and loosing all the work! Ah, them were the days!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  9. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Ahhh...I still think throwing cow sh*t at each other might have been better. Its good for your complection(sp?) too..It does cause bruising round the ears from your mother slapping you on the lugs. Not so much now right enough. I'm taller than her now that i'm 30.. :D

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Now that you're 30 Angus, do you still throw cow sh*t? :eek: :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Well...maybe once a year when i catch up with a couple of mates, usually after a good few beers :oops: ...Usually after the pub closes, grab a bottle and head down to the beach,talk crap (pun intended) about growing u in the islands and then ends in a sh*t fight...oh the fun ! 8)

12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Did you go to Lochaber High School Angus?

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sorry to ask, Sandy, but is throwing cow-sh*t a known trait of that establishment ? :att

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Nope, I was up in the Western Isles. But is that some sort of pastime in Lochaber ?

15. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Gav

I only ever played Shinty (badly) at LHS.

16. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...