How did you break into your IT role?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rostros22, Jan 18, 2006.

1. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Well I started in the CAD/CAM industry as a toolmaker and industry designer over 20 years ago, I got my technology start as I was doing my Diploma in Computing at the time [with VMS and Appollo OS -remember them?], and I was prepared to work the long hours needed at low pay for the various apps that needed to be learnt.

Also I was in the technical computing workspace with sales and support of Unix based software like computer aided engineering, NAG, Matlab and compilers and network equipment from 1991 until 1995.

By the mid-90's [96/97] I had my own business for a few years doing Records managment software, NT support and POS [point of sale] inventory systems for the hardware and building industry.

After that,from 1998 to 2002, I did business development/ sales of IT and telecommunications [RF/Microwave] while I studied for my MCSE and MCDBA.

I got my current role as Systems Administrator after working 12 months here on contract in 2003....

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Very impressive Supa 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

Well, I have an interesting story, or at least I think you'll find it interesting.

I spent 5 years in the U.S. Army as a radio repairmen.

When I got out, I found out how useless that job is out in the real world, so while looking into welding, I decided to try my luck in a computer store. As a salesmen or Tech, the Manager asked why I wrote either or on my Application, I told him I'd be willing to start in sales to get myself into the Tech field.

He liked my Military background and my honest answer and took me under his wing.

I worked my way up from there and have only looked back to remind myself of my humble beginnings like today. ;)

Today I own my own consulting company, I started last year, and have grown from 5 clients to over 35 in that time.
    Business is good and while I have not made my first million yet, I easily pay the bills and have been able to start putting money aside for the future.

Give me a few more large clients and I'll have to start looking for employees.

;)

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I was signing on the dole. I asked the job centre to send me on a computer course which they did. The course sent me on a work placement in the IT support dept of Citibank!

I bent over backwards to make myself as useful as I could and they extended the placement for another 2 weeks then gave me a 3 month paid summer job.

Never looked back from there

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging