How best to "juggle"?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I know a lot of you guys on here have a whole load of projects going on at the same time. I know we've had threads that discussed how you schedule your study time, but not your working/family/interests/study time.

I'm curious how people deal with their respective workloads and family commitments (given we gathered in a thread not so long ago that most other halves are a rabid bunch of nagging wolverine-ettes)

I have the novel, trying to do the CCNA, a working day that involves 3 hours of commuting, and training to cycle LEJoG. Whilst I try to keep structured, I often find myself trying to do so much that I feel like I've done nothing at all... and in respect of my current situation, it's the studies for the CCNA that have been left behind at the moment.

Every so often I re-timetable my week. Not to the extent of Rimmer tables, but a structure nevertheless, that I do try to stick to.

How/what do you guys do to keep focused and/or ship shape? Any hints or tips you can chuck my way? (doing less is not an option, and I need minimal 6 hours sleep to not function and look like a zombie throughout the working week.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmmHmmm Interesting question, but it's a bit like asking what is the meaning of life and no it's not 42 unless your name is Arthur Dent:p:biggrin

The quick a simpliest answer is to make life simple and cut out the things you really don't need. It seems to me Arroryn you've got so much going on in life you haven't got time to sit down relax and take it all in!:blink

Sitting down and working out a time table or schedule - well do those things actually work in the real world?

That's like trying to share a house with 6 people and writing out a time table of who should do the washing up or cleaning, it never works!

What you've got to do and this is what I did is sit down and work out what's important and cut out the rest.
    In 2006 I ran myself into the ground by studying my A+ through self study working 3 jobs, trying go out with friends and keeping up with the gym and clubs. It's not easy Working 9 -4 in 1 job then working in the evenings 6 -9 and doing a Saturday job as well as studying and trying to go out with friends who call you a hermit because you just don't have the time to go out! Even when i was out I was falling a sleep or thinking about other things.:(

Present - have 1 job full time, in the evening I do 1 hour of study (N+ self study) I must admit I find it a struggle some days becasue after staring at a computer screen all day my eyes are tired, so I try and alternate study 3 days a week. Depends what's on and how I feel just so long as I do my qota. Gym and swimming 3 - 4 days a week and I see friends twice a week can't really time table them because they are so disorganised they just turn up.:rolleyes:

It annoy's me some days, they just turn up expect me to drop everything and go for a drink with them, it's difficult to say no when they are offerring to buy the first round!

A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she is in hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt :biggrin

Don't forget you've still got that bike ride to do! 8)

I just got back into swimming and started to do Swimathons again raising money for BHF, it's tough because some days I don't feel like training, however after I have had a swim or been to the gym I feel more relaxed and studying is easier!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I just get on with it and try to set rough dates to when I want to sit an exam. The problem is that it’s quite difficult to gauge how much prep is needed for some exams. Once I start studying I can get a general idea to how much work is required before I can potentially sit the exam.

Work always gets in the way, long hours and some installs are done during out of hours to minimise downtime. This doesn’t mean I can get the time back though as the day to day support tasks still have to be done. The joy of IT.

If you have been studying for the CCNA for a while now you probably know how much work is involved until you are happy to take the exam. So why not pencil in a date and when it gets closer to that date if you feel ready book it for real?

I look like a walking zombie most of the time btw! :biggrin

Customer: Wow, you look like cr@p, out on the town last night?
    Me: No, I work in IT, can I have another coffee please? :gmorning

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

LOL :biggrin:p Don't we all mate, lets face it working in IT does give you those black Panda Eyes:p

At my ex - girlfriends work do, one of the party asked what I did when I told them I work in IT - their reply was - wow that must be so good to sit down all day and play mine sweeper.:biggrin

I just laughed but as the conversation went on I realised he stereo typed people working in IT asking if I had all the episodes of star trek :rolleyes:and stating it must great to sit on your ass all day doing nothing and getting paid loads of money1:x

The only time I get to sit down is when I am looking to see what the next job is or sending an email. Normally I am installing computers, testing network points, patching Hubs walking up and down 5 flight of stairs. :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The solution is quite simple:

...cut down on sleep. :eek:

...or try to, anyway... :sleeping

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't cut down on sleep. The simple answer is to do your studying and writing when everyone else goes to sleep. I know people who can drive their bodies and minds to the edge in order to accomplish various goals but I'm not one of them. If anything, I'm learning the value to sleep more as I get older (and having suffered from sleep apnea, I know whereof I speak).

Even when I'm awake in the evening, I am not always in the proper frame of mind to do serious writing or studying. If my brain is tired, I'm not really going to learn anything and if I'm trying to create technical material, I find I make too many mistakes. I may be fit enough for some light reading or the occasional TV show, but I'm pretty much "done" for anything really creative.

Don't skimp on sleep unless you want to be a zombie for all of your waking hours.

On the other hand, some people are "night" people and do well in the evenings. I tend to be a morning person and if anything, getting up an hour early to do some work is the better option (I do have to have at least one cup of coffee in me and have mindlessly surfed the Internet for 30 minutes or so to shake out the cobwebs first).

Find out just when your mind is most active in terms of non-"day job" hours and see if you can fit studying and writing in those time frames.

Your commute is a good time to study as long as it's book study. I remember when I used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I was an undergrad in those days and had a long bus commute to and from work. I'd spend the time studying, even managing to take some notes in the book margins and it was time well spent. If you have a three hour commute one-way, take your books with you and start studying. I doubt you'll be able to write, even with a pad and pencil due to the motion of the bus, but I suppose you could try. Even taking notes that you will eventually turn into pages in your novel would be a good use of that time.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I don't sleep much but if I am studying I either do it when its quiet or as Trip says when everyone has gone to bed. The less distractions the better.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael

Okay, which is it? Cut down on sleep, or study/write when everyone else goes to sleep? :blink If I don't cut down on sleep, I'm sleeping when they sleep... but if I stay awake past when they sleep, then I'm cutting down on sleep... :unsure

:p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. greenbrucelee

not if you don't get up when they do :p

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Its quite simple and you just need to cut down on the time spent watching movies and reading novels including hours spent browsing the internet:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Arroryn

Thanks for the feedback so far guys :)

I do try to use the commute for book study, I think my issues lie in prioritising, and my complete inability to do as such in my private life.

I do tend to be more of a night person than a morning person... though early in the morning is considered by some to be the middle of the night... I'll stop talking right there otherwise I'll tie myself in knots :blink

I think trying to figure out my most active times is the best way. Might jazz Martin off a little when I'm still writing at 3am. But that's a good time of the night. I like that time. The air smells nice then :rolleyes::biggrin

12. greenbrucelee

11pm - 1am are my best hours for study, I generally wake up at 9.30 get some weetabix and a cup of tea and take them back to bed with me so I can watch Jeremy Kyle, then I might watch half of the Trisha Goddard show before getting up and taking the dog out, then I go to work and study when I come back

13. Arroryn

That sounds sooooo relaxing. lol.

See, here's my day (typically)

6.30am - up

7.20am - leave for bus to work

8.50am - get to work (if Network Fail doesn't get in the way)

9 - 5.30pm - work (1hr lunch)

5.30pm - 7.10pm - journey home (backwards)

7.10 - 8.00pm - eat. Something. Maybe.

8.00pm - 10.30pm - a variant of one of the following - novel/CCNA/gym

10.30pm - unconsciousness (generally 12ish) - novel/reading/music/movies/staring at my fish

That's if I'm not on call, or not having to do work out of hours (which there's a lot of at the moment).

Meh. Sleep is for wussies. Evidently.

14. BosonMichael

Ooooh, dude, I'd SO get rolled outta bed if I did that. :ohmy :D

15. Arroryn

Rolled? That's a bit polite. Martin gets kicked out of bed.

16. BosonMichael

You wimmenz are cruel and ruthless. :dry

17. Arroryn

But you suckaz just keep coming back for more.

18. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Don't we just, masochism in a domestic sense :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  19. BosonMichael

That's cause you wimmenz look more attractive than the alternative. :blink

20. greenbrucelee

No woman would tell me when to get up. 8)