Host bridged connection : Unable to obtain IP automatically by DHCP server and intern

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by adeelmpk, Apr 22, 2008.

1. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

Hi,

I have a windows XP guest running on XP machine. The host machine is connected directly to Sky broadband router via ethernet adapter with DHCP server enabled on router & guest configured as Bridged ethernet connection. Everything is working perfectly fine on host machine but on guest I am only able to obtain an IP address as long as I setup a static IP address in Windows network connection and I am able to ping sky router (192.168.0.1) and other LAN resources but unable to ping internet (eg., google.com). Another problem is that If I guest OS is set to obtain IP, DHCP and DNS automatically it won't automatically obtain an IP address and comes up with "Limited connectivity". Please note that DHCP is anabled on physical router and is normally working fine with other network recources.

Attached is a screen shot my host ipconfig/all.

Any clues what could be wrong, thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

WIP: MCSE
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Should the default gateway not be 192.168.0.1?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

192.168.0.1 is the default gateway.

4. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

I have even tried setting default gateway to 192.168.0.1 but still no vain, it's shows the correct gateway under ipconfig/all but still not being able to get to internet. I am still able to ping the router & other local network devices.

5. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

I got it, it was the bitdefender firewall blocking the VMWARE Workstation, hence all the guest OS's were being blocked too.