(hopefully easy) Office 2K3 Query

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arroryn, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm not a whizzy whiz in office...

... so. I am setting up a machine that's going to be an image master. On it, I want to set up a default Outlook profile and data file profile that all users that log in without a roaming profile will pick up.

I've Googled around, and can't find anything that doesn't involve pounding a dozen different areas in the registry. Any takers?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

OK first question, do the people logging onto windows have a genric profile i.e when they log into windows a screen is shown requesting user name and passowrd. If they all use the same profile. Then it's possible!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Arroryn

eeergh... no.

Some of our users have roaming profiles; some do not. Currently, the users that log on without roaming profiles get XP noise and that awful 'bliss' wallpaper; there are also no profile settings in Outlook and so forth. I need at basic a profile that always appears in Outlook if there's no roaming profile, with the exchange server settings. Am I making any sense? :blink

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Oh eck because I am online at home and don't have MS outlook installed I can't upload any pictures/screenshots. Unless you can wait until I am at work (tomorrow).:(

Go from memory - you need to access the mail section under control panel, one inside you should be presented with a box to select the email profile (usually called outlook) you also have an option to setup another account or edit taht account and I believe theres another option to setup the archive.pst file.

Arrr.. here we go I found the screenshot it's called MAIL SETUP EXCHANGE

located under the control panel in windows.

Click on the button called profiles, the select on the next screen shown that website new or edit profile it is here you need to add email account names of the people using this computer. Actually Arroryn if you follow the instruction on that website you come to point 14 whereby every time a user clicks onto the icon on the desktop for outlook. You will see a box displayed requesting to choose an email account then the password is required. It is designed so any one can use the computer for day to day task in windows/office but each user can have a individual email account!8):biggrin

5. Arroryn

Thanks for that response UCM. I know how to set up the profiles, exchance, etc - it was getting a default profile to appear that has been an issue... though I have a sinking feeling I have been a bit thickie about it... hang on a sec...

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Right so lets get this straight, some users have roaming profile and some have a local profile? Do some users have a mandory profile (not sure if I spelt that right, it's a read only profile to stop users saving files on their desktop)?:blink

7. Arroryn

No, no users have mandatory profiling. The PC setup is fine for roaming profiles (as they get all their own stuff) and there's only a small cluster (about two dozen) users that have local profiles. But this is something that's on all our Builds, and I just can't beat this one into submission. :rolleyes:

And I'm not being as thick as I suspected (which is a relief) but I don't think I'm being very bright at the moment either :dry

So I'm going to go home, remote in and finish this in the comfort of... anywhere that isn't the office. God help the other road users.

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Your Welcome, Arroryn I am having problems typing the keyboard at the moment. After having a nice sunday roast and 3 glass of red wine, my brain is having trouble communicating to my fingers.:p:biggrin You have to excuse the typo's:biggrin

I would say your not thick, I think AD is a hard thing to understand.

Edited:- taken the last bit out because it does make sense!

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

That's a good idea!:thumbleft I think I am going sign off before my head falls a sleep on the keyboard!

Good luck and have a safe journey home:sunny

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think what you need to do is log on as administrator and configure the user profile the way you want it. Then go into the user profiles in control panel, select ‘copy to’ and then select the default user profile.

Then log on as a different user and it should create a new local profile based on the default profile on the local machine. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

AD group policy

Job done :D

you'll need to import the GP office 200x bits into AD

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong