Honours dissertation ideas

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Sco0t, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Decided, that I think I'm going to go back to university this year to do my honours. Just trying to think of a topic for my dissertation. Studying networking, and got some ideas, was just wondering if any of you imaginative people on CF have any ideas. So hit me with them, really want to nail this year on the head :D

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why IT has been devalued because of braindumpers and inturn puts many organizations network infrastructure at risk because they nob heads.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I would probably write some code in CUDA if I were to do a dissertation now.

4. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi mate,

Having a degree and with 18 months tech experience I would say:

(1) a helpdesk calling logging solution using asp / .net solution perhaps with an sql backend
    (2) implementation of sharepoint services for organisation that doesnt already have it...
    (3) a network design proposal for an organisation without i.t facilties.

But overall: Do something that is relevant to...

(A) your ideal future job, (b) something worthy writing on your cv and (c) chance of scoring a high mark!

fatP

5. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far. Hah and that would be an idea GBL.

Good ideas, fatP - although I've never worked with asp/dotNet/sql. It's going to be a tough one. At first I though wireless hacking, seemed and interesting topic but seems far too generic now in my course. I'm pondering over the idea of digital forensics with a mix of digital forensics (With a mix of devices being analysed like PC/iPhone/blackberrys, etc) Anyone like those ideas :blink

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm not sure what counts as valid topics for a networking thesis, you'd have to talk it over with your tutors.

Maybe look at open source projects, maybe something like Open-MX ?

7. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

Yeah part of our course last year was on Ethical hacking and Digital forensics, so I know the lecturer would allow a forensic type thesis. Yeah good idea on the open source projects, never heard of Open-MX, but will have a browse around and see if I can see anything, thanks.