1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homeplug Networking

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ManicMonkey, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Has anyone had any first hand experience with this sort of thing? Im interested in rehashing my network (as ive just moved house) and am looking at this as a solution. Its not exactly cheap so i was wondering if it is really as good as ive been told.

A bit of research and i think this would be my purchase of choice (once i find a cheaper supplier) Solwise Home Plug. The only downside i can see with this model is the security (and probably the interface).

Any comments or suggestions/recommendations welcome :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You may want to search here - as I reported on Homeplug about 6 months ago.

My conclusions were that it worked just fine, which gave the lie to comments about networks being difficult. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

ok read your post :0 do you still use the homeplug system, if so which ones are you on? Best go and find out if i have a single ring main or not since i want to go upstairs for my main desktp and downstairs for my broadband point and 360.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I still use it when I need a laptop connected when in the kitchen. I have the 'Mk1' version, nominaly 14Mbps, but, as with most of those, there is a turbo mode capable of 85Mbps. I get 50Mbps between two different ring-mains.

IMHO the story about having to have just one ring is wrong, unless you have some sort of filtering built into your consumer box.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+