Problem Home server acts as DNS/Domain controller/Router/Web server...

Discussion in 'Networks' started by hostmax, Feb 1, 2011.

1. hostmax

hostmax New Member

Hi everyone,

I am trying to setup a domain-based home server. My situation is as follow:

1. Windows Server 2003 machine (with 2 network adapter)
    2. Windows 7 machine (1 network adapter)

On the server machine, 1 network port is connected to Internet (directly) (named eth0), another one is connected to the 7 machine (named eth1). I have add Domain Controller/DNS/DHCP/Remote access/Application- roles to my server.

As for the eth0 adapter, I only changed DNS server to 127.0.0.1 and leave IP to automatic assigned by my ISP.
    As for the eth1 adapter, I manually config IP 192.168.0.1 (255.255.255.0), DNS server is set to 192.168.0.1

I have configed the server's DNS Server to forward DNS queries. (using the ISP's DNS as forwarder). I chose the Internet IP of eth0 and the server's local IP (192.168.0.1) as Interface IP.

At first, it was working and the client computer can connect to internet and file sharing ... However today it just suddenly stopped working. The client's browser kept sending requests but no reply ... And as I tried to ping, only the client can ping the server but the server cannot ping the client (eventhough it can resolve the IP of the client)...

Can anyone help me on this !!! Is this a correct configuration? Does it have anything to do with gateway's IP (since I left it empty)?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Perhap the reason you cannot ping the the client computer is because it could be the firewall setting on the lan adapter has denied computers to ping the computer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. hostmax

hostmax New Member

Well, for simpler config I have completely disabled Windows Firewall service ...

4. adsl_alc_20190.bin

adsl_alc_20190.bin Bit Poster

Have you turned DHCP off on your router?

Certifications: ccna, mcts windows 7
  5. hostmax

hostmax New Member

I am not having and router ... I connect the eth0 adapter directly to the Internet port (RJ45) provided by my ISP, no modem, no router of any kind ...

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Are you trying to setup ICS?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. hostmax

hostmax New Member

Yes, something like that ... and I want this server to act as a router also .... (not to talk about application server, file sharing ... since they are not really relevant)

8. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Can your server ping the web?

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  9. hostmax

hostmax New Member

Yes. The weird thing is that DHCP is still working properly... if my server cannot ping my client, how can they communicate and do the IP assigning stuff...

10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Have you enabled RRAS on the server? If not, you need to set that up and set up NAT within RRAS.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. hostmax

hostmax New Member

RRAS and NAT was setup and working till yesterday... just from today weird things start to happen...
    The client can ping the server but the server cannot ping the client (by IP and hostname)... I always get timed out ... Even so, the client can access all resources all the server

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Based on that, it sounds like the firewall on the Win7 client is on then. It might just be blocking pings.

If not that, disable DHCP on the server, then set a static IP on your Win7 client. (just to rule out a possible misconfig on the DHCP setup).

Give it an IP in the same range as the server (eg 192.168.0.10), then set the subnet to the class c default and the gateway and DNS to 192.168.0.1.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Was just re-reading your post and noticed this. On the external adapter, if it's getting an auto ip from your ISP, that is the gatway IP taken care of. On the internal adapter, you shouldn't have a gateway set. The NAT that you said is setup in RRAS will route any traffic from your internal to the external adapter providing you set NAT up correctly.

14. hostmax

hostmax New Member

Tried both... still doesn't work :( As far as I remember, I can use Internet on client machine and two-ways communication between client and server were working well till yesterday (including ping, remote desktop, file transfer etc...) so I suppose the NAT config is OK.

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If you run an ipconfig /all on the client machine what do you get? also what's your IP configuration on the server? like IP, subnet, gateway?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  16. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Also check the services to chack the DNS Client is started.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Forgot to add, if you did enable ICS and you have a functional DHCP server leasing out IP addresses, you can run into issues with having multiple addresses distributed to clients and thus limiting the connectivity.

18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As far as I remember, ICS doesn't even exist on server 2003, it's more aimed at client OS's.

19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

To be honest he doesn't need ICS if his server is multi-homed.

Usually what I do when I am running a multi-homed server is I have my outbound NIC has the gateway on it whilst the internal NIC is left without a gateway. My clients will all have that internal NIC as their gateway address because the server already has a defined route out.

As far as DNS resolution goes, simpy put in the IP address of your ISP (or OpenDNS) DNS servers and that should be all you need to do.

Finally the ICMP failures almost always occur because of client firewall settings (either local or GPO based).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  20. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011