Home network problem Netgear + Dlink

Discussion in 'Networks' started by rax, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem that I'm going to try and explain. It is mainly a result of an incorrect purchase but seeing as it provides a challenge I've tried to achieve what I wanted anyway but to no avail.

I currently have a Netgear DG834G v4 which doesn't support port translation and recently purchased a D-link DIR-615 because it does support port translation.

The reason I wanted port translation is to Remote Desktop to my home PC on port 22 (or other ports that are not the default 3389).

However, it turns out the D-link is not actually a modem/router but just a router. Therefor I've tried to change the Netgear to run in Modem mode only and then connect through it from the D-link but when in Modem mode it doesn't connect to my ISP - it picks up the DSL but not the Internet/DNS etc and I can't input any user/password details for my connection.

My ISP state that it uses PPPoA
    IP: 82.69.0.x
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.255
    DNS 1
    DNS 2

The only point in which I can input username/password on the Dlink setup is in PPPoE (so I didn't try it).

I then tried to set the Netgear to enable DMZ and connected the DLINK through it onto the web which worked.

However, I tried to enable the 3389 and 22 ports incoming to the Netgear to forward to my Dlink IP and setup the rules on the DLINK to forward to my home PC but it doesn't work.

Anyone got any ideas? :(

Thanks,

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

After some more investigation I have discovered that:-

1. All UK adsl uses PPPoA
    2. ADSL modems should allow username/password input
    3. I don't really understand DMZ.

I also thought I'd point out that I changed the listen port on RDP to 22 but the netgear has got SSH pre set for port 22 and you can't create a custom service with start:22 finish:22. So I set the router to forward SSH/22 to my ip and created 2 custom rules one with start:22 finish:3389 and the other with start:3389 finish:338 (to make sure that 3389 no longer worked due to the change of listen port). None of them worked.

So I set the listen port back to 3389 and had to leave for work. :(

3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

It also seems that the underlying problem is with the Netgear "modem only" mode not allowing username/password input - strange.

4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Why not stay in router+modem mode and stick the new router in the DMZ also set the PPPoE to DHCP and no auth required

Although I'm a little confused as to why you need to send your user name and password because it shouldn't be required by be*

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hmm, I'll need to read up more about DMZ..

I actually forgot to remove my image, I've left Be* now and that's why I can no longer use the Thomson router they provide, which supports port translation.

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Ah ok

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Is returning the DIR615 and replacing with a modem/router not an option?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi,

if you want remote access to your home computer, why not just setup a logmein account and install that on your home pc.

Regards

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Aslo what firmware is the DG834 running

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I take it you have a static IP address from your ISP? Also what ISP are you using?

As said, using logmein (free btw) is a good option.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having had a look at the manuals for the two units I think you would be better served returning the DLink and getting an ADSL router/modem.

The Netgear, in 'modem mode', will only do PPPoE , as you mentioned. But it just passes it through. Another device must actually be the client for this, and hold the login details. The DLink will do this, as you discovered.

The snag is that large parts of the UK are PPPoA only (some areas will handle PPPoE I'm told). PPPoE is far more generaly used in the USA for example.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Why not? Very few ISPs demand their routers back these days when a customer leaves. You should be able to use it if you change the settings.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hi,

Ye I'm not sure if they'll ask for it back or not yet, I know Virgin wanted theirs back.

Another problem I faced was forwarding port 22 from my Netgear and changing the listen port of Remote Desktop to 22 - turns out when leaving the rules for 3389 that the ones for 22 don't work. So I've managed to get Remote Desktop working on port 22.

As for Logmein, I've not checked that one out though I did check out UVNC but the client PC needs to at least have Java to use the browser client - something that our office PC's are not allowed, nor are we allowed to install any other applications (very strict security manager).

Looks like the best thing to do now is just send the router back.

Thanks all

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've never met a DLink device I liked. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!