Home NAS Devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dmarsh, Feb 8, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm thinking of getting a home NAS device, I'm open to suggestions.

Currently I'm thinking of getting one of these :-

http://www.store2go.net/shop/discountstore/p/product/0710218732-QNAP+TS-209+1TB+Samsung+2+x+500GB+5+Year+Warranty+Drives/

What do you think ? :biggrin

2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I was thinking about exactly the same device myself - but in the end I decided against it:

1) Even though a wanted the laptop to access the data, it was just as easy (and cheaper in electricity and component terms) to put a 500gb hard drive into my desktop system.
    2) I wanted all my data to be in one place, but also to have a back up - I thought RAID1 but needed either Server 2k3 or a NAS to do it properly - again cost came in. I've sorted that with using NTBackup at the end of a day to a removable hard drive.
    3) Speed - data via SATA hard drives on a workstation are at SATA speed of 300Mb/s. NAS would only give about 10/20Mb/s data throughput and considering I only had heavy data use on the desktop, the dsektop-based hard drive worked for me.

Just some thoughts I went through. But that device is good :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! derkit is spot on as I too recently thought of backup for my wife as she does semi pro wedding photography and has tons on photos to store. I decided she gets two external usb 500gb hard drive and copy data from one onto the other as a backup.

To be honest for a home user I think in terms of keeping cost down then you can't go wrong with the above. I personally would recommend the freecom external usb hard drive as it comes with a samsung hard disk. Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell