1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Learning or college course

Discussion in 'A+' started by Jonathon, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Jonathon

Jonathon New Member

I was just wondering what people here were doing regarding studying for the A+ exams. Ive purchased a couple of books and was wondering if I can actualy learn all I need from these. Some courses Ive looked into have hands on experience taking computers apart and then rebuilding them, I do have an old pc that I can take apart and play with and to familiarise myself with computer components. Also is there any one here from Hampshire currently on or booked into doing a college course in A+ that can give me details on where they are doing it. Many thanks in advance.
    Certifications: None at the moment
    WIP: A+ then Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Jonathon. The answer depends on how well you can absorb the concepts involved in the A+ coursework and apply them. Years ago, I bought the Meyers A+ All-In-One text in the hopes of teaching myself the material. Problem was that I had such a difficult time understanding the concepts. An IRQ just baffled me. I barely could tell the difference between RAM and ROM. I didn't even have a basic foundation to build on so I could understand what I was reading.

In my case, going to college was the best choice. When learning entirely new things, I tend to do better in a group learning situation with a real, live teacher handy. On the other hand, many other people do just fine with a PC, a book, and some basic tools. The only way to test this is to try self-study first (it has the benefit of being less expensive) and see how well you do. If you still have a feeling of hopelessness after giving yourself some time to study and practice, college may be the road to take. If however, you take to it like a duck takes to water and seem to have the ability to learn the necessary skill sets, self-study may be your ticket.

Either way, you are the only one who can make the final determination. Let us know which way you are leaning and good luck.
    Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Not me. They irked me.
    Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1