Home Learning College

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by RobLucas, Nov 2, 2008.

1. RobLucas

RobLucas New Member

I was about to sign up to do a home study course with Home Learning College. I did a bit of research and found this on Consumer Action Group.
    www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/students/151812-home-learning-college.html
    Not sure if I will go ahead now! What do you guys know about Home Learning College?
    Thanx
    Rob

2. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

What kind of course were you thinking about?

Home learning college is to me - primarily for people who have rich mummys and daddys, or have the spare dough lying around to fund what I 'think' are overpriced courses. Around £400 for a knitting course, and more or less the entire course selection is done at home.

As for the computer courses. Around £500-1500, and at the end of it, they don't even pay for the industry recognised qualification exam fee. Granted you'll get a certificate of competence from them, but that's nothing compared to the industry recognised qualification, whether it be from Cisco, Microsoft, CompTIA etc. & even that requires experience alongside it for any real prospects.

So what are you giving them all that money for exactly?? Whether it be knitting, arts/crafts course, computing or whatever, all you really pay for is materials. Materials that are bounded together in some plastic binder, and few leaflets, possibly a cheaply looking CD-rom, or DVD, which looks like it probably came free with some magazine, with the addition of being able to e-mail some person behind the desk there?

You have this forum mate, with a massive amount of intelligent, and knowledgeable people of ALL age groups, with personal experiences, and real informative assistance in questions you ask. You have the e-mail support right here. As for materials, why pay a grand or so? Most materials you can get for under £200 at the most, sometimes all you need is £20-30 for materials

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self study. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. RobLucas

RobLucas New Member

wow, thanks guys. It was the CIW course I was thinking of doing. Trouble is, I'm not sure I've go the confidence or discipline to study it myself. But I don't have rich parents either.

I thought they might give me tutor support and some kind of structure. I'm worried that if I get the materials myself I just won't do it. Has anyone out there studied with them?

RobL

5. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

DO NOT go near them

I was unlucky enough to enquire about their courses only to be told that an advisor would be sent to my house.

Well the advisor turned up around 2 hours late.

The fee for A+ was £2000 and it was all to be studied at home with them providing me books and 24 hour tutor on the phone. Hardly worth it.

Well in the end I had to kick the advisor out of my house as she wouldn't leave without trying to get me to sign on the spot.

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

lucky escape there mate, £2k for the A+:blink you could get a half decent car for that 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. mickaveli2001

A CIW course? The web design one right? I've seen that name thrown around a couple of times before, and there's not really any qualification I could see that would get employers wanting to hire you as a designer more than other important aspects. Work experience roles, and a portfolio of your own "homemade" work would be what employers would desire more - on the software side!!

What's strange is that you say you don't have the motivation or self-decipline to study it yourself, yet if you give the home learning college money for the course - that's exactly what you will be doing anyway, and what may be under a 'strict timelimit' :blink
    You'll get given course materials (IE: Books, maybe a CD-Rom)
    another thing about the CIW is that is seems to be fairly new, and unknown to the majority, and employers may see it is a mark against you, for the fact that experienced well crafted web designers would not need the qualification in the first place, but then again it's a hit or a miss, people may prefer it, or oppose it.

It's your choice, but you MUST LOOK HERE

CIW COURSE FOR £53.00

The above course is from an authentic college. There aremany more CIW ones on that website so have a look. If you earn less than £18,000 annually, then you are accepted for an annual course allowance of £200 every year. I seen a course that was £210, so I'd only have to pay £10 for the course, so it's ideal to look at other UK equivelents to the above schemes, rather than blow a LOAD of money to a company who thrive on this kind of niave understanding. Look through your options

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Probably best to make your own portfolio and either send it out to potential employers or take it with you to interviews.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. The_Dark_Side

The_Dark_Side Bit Poster

ILA Scotland is a Scottish Government scheme that helps you pay for learning that you can do at a time, place, pace and in a way to suit you. It’s for people who have an income of £18,000 a year or less, or who are on benefits.

If you are 16 or over and living in Scotland, you could get up to £500 towards the cost of learning with a learner account from ILA Scotland.

10. mickaveli2001

I'd love the £500 one :D I've got £200 sitting active. I may have to book a course lol. Anyone got any suggestions?

There may be other government schemes like this in England & Wales, but not sure